Did anybody install himself/herself a front-end mask on Camry 2003?

I have a 2003 Camry LE and I want to protect the front hood against paint chips. I purchased the front-end mask (original Toyota part).

One installation instruction says to attach a metal clip to a fender tab in the wheel well area. The problem is that even the fender tab is part of the fender and it is painted the same color as the car is. If I attach a metal clip directly to this tab without anything in between (there is plastic liner that covers the fender tab but the according to the instructions the clip goes in between the liner and the fender tab) then the metal clip will eventually start scratching the fender tab and the rust may set it later. Once the rust starts on this tab it will escalate to the fender outside the wheel well.

The instructions have 800 number to the manufacturer of the front-end mask. But they have the attituide "we just work here, do not ask us stupid questions".

Does anybody know what is the logic behind this installation?

Reply to
DavYY

Those masks are bad news. Guaranteed, dust/grit will get trapped behind the mask and scratch your paint. Also, EVERYTIME you wash the car, you must remove the mask, then when dry, replace it. PITA, IMHO.

Reply to
The #1 Sharxster

I would suggest 3M Hood Protector tape which is clear and sticks to the surface.

Reply to
Car Guy

I installed the front-end mask myself, '02 SE. What I did was that I placed the clip straddling the plastic liner, rather than the fender tab. The plastic liner is pretty sturdy so you need not worry of the hole cutting on one side.

This orientation reduces the contact with the metal fender, although the screw will still be touching the fender tab. By the way I have not experienced any rust from this and I have had it for almost a year now, through snow and rain.

*************** What I suggest you do is place a thick tape straddling the fender tab where the clip goes, and slide the clip on top of it. ***************

You do need to be careful with the hood piece though, since it WILL begin to rust the hood if you don't remove it and clean underneath it every now and then. BTW, if it does rust it, Toyota's corrosion warranty will NOT cover it.

I completely removed the hood piece, and only have the bumper piece in place. It causes NO rust, since the bumper is plastic. And the areas where it touches the metal fender are minimal and airy. I do check those areas every couple of months or so.

I recommend you install a hood protector instead of the hood piece. I have not tried one myself, but I would think it won't have this rusting issue. They cost about $78 USD online, check this link:

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim

Return it -- it does indeed trap sand and scrath the paint plus the paint color will be different under it. Instead go with a smoked plastic stone and bug deflector..

Reply to
Wolfgang

Forgot to mention also;

If the hood piece is not tight enough to prevent any flapping on the free end while driving on the expressway, it will leave dark traces on the hood. Just stick some wide transparent tape on the hood where it meets the flap, all along the width of the hood.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim

That's what I had done..4 years ago, and it is still okay.

Reply to
The #1 Sharxster

I've seen those on trucks...but on a Camry? Where would one mount it?

Reply to
The #1 Sharxster