HELP : Engine shakes - feels like misfires

87 Camry - 223K miles

Hi Folks ..

I just had new tires installed and after that got the alignment done. Within a day (i.e. yesterday), I noticed some shaking while driving .. felt a lot like engine misfiring. I had experienced this about 2-3 years back and after I put in new spark plugs it started working fine. However, today the shaking or misfiring got much worse, gradually kept increasing. As I was driving back from work, shaking was constant. I see that the pickup is quite weak now. I am scared of engine seizing up completely (really not sure what that means, but know that will be the end of it)

As soon as I reached home, checked that there were no fluid leaks anywhere .. nothing burning, nothing out of ordinary under the hood. I am baffled ..

- could the alignment have done anything ? I had a drift to the left and after alignment still have it. My mechanic showed me a suspension seal covered with oil .. said I will need to replace it (about $370)...but also suggested not to waste money on a car this old. Before I got new tires, previous front tires were badly worn out on sides ... as car was seriously needing alignment.

- could the engine start misfiring all of a sudden ? this badly ?

Thx very much for your assistance

Reply to
techtrainer

I fixed it .. Here is the fix for someone who may face the same problem -- Basically, One of the cylinder was 'missing' -- when I pulled out the spark plug wire rod, it revealed a crack in it ... which was leaking electrical charge. I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wire set which includes the distributor cap, and distributor rotor.

It runs fine now.

Reply to
techtrainer