Help find source of gas smell

Recently I noticed some gas smell around my 93 4 cyl Camry. I had the filler neck replaced because it had holes and signs of small leaks. But the problem persists and there is no sign of leaks anywhere. I was thinking about the top of the gas tank but my mechanic thinks it might be difficult not to replace parts of or all the exhaust system because it's nearing the end. Everything looks perfectly dry under the car.

Does anyone here had a similar problem and found its origin?

JP

Reply to
JP

Had a similar problem w/ my '93 Camry, & it turned out to be a quick fix: when I filled the tank, somehow the gasoline nozzle knocked the filler neck gasket askew, leading to the distinct odor. The gasket was starting to age anyway, and it was replaced.

Hope your problem has an equally 'easy' solution!

JT

Reply to
JTHouse