lot of noise

I own a 1994 toyota camry xle v6 , Car is very smooth and quite when it idles, but when it hit 30mph or more, I get a loud humming noise and a noticible vibration coming from the front of the vehicle. It seems that the noise is coming from the left side of the car. I have driven the car at 60mph and then put it in neutral, even in neutral the noise is loud and it vibrates, as the car slows down so does the vibrations and the loud humming noise.

Reply to
ivanmartinez1974

I would suspect a bad tire or possible a bad axle. When was the last time you had your tires checked?

Does it make clicking noises when taking turns?

Reply to
Hachiroku

did you have the left front wheel-bearing checked?

Reply to
jan siepelstad

No I have not, but will do, thanks

Reply to
ivanmartinez1974

No cliking noise, and tires are good.

Reply to
ivanmartinez1974

Most likely sometime in its previous history, the car's left front wheel was subjected to a nasty hit,..either in an accident or run hard into a kurb. This brinnels, or puts tiny indentations in the wheel bearing's tracks from the balls or rollers whichever applies. Then as time goes on the damaged tracks slowly start to delaminate and general disintergrate. When they get bad, you can hear the humming or "RRR" noise at any speed. Jack up one front wheel. Makes sure you chock the other 3 wheels each side so the car wont move. Put in drive and get a helper to apply throttle. The raised wheel will make some noise as the side-gears in the diff will be turning. However, there should be a definate louder noise compared to the other front wheel. As there is no vertcal load, the noise will be quieter. Another lessor possibility is the car has hit a tree-stump or similar with its drive-shaft. This can cause severe damage to the diff carrier bearing one side,..giving similar symptons. In this case however, the driveshaft would likely be bent, or been replaced.

The tin heat-shield on many Camrys that model, rattles at certain engine speeds around 30 mph and possible at the second harmonic (60mph). This noise is more a rattly noise tho. Some tyre treads are noisy, but are more noisy new.

If above is a nogo, make sure the diff has oil in it.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James