Vibration in KA24E Engine

The engine in my 95 pickup started vibrating lately. I tried changing the plugs, rotor, and distributor cap--but that didn't help. I only have 80k miles on it. Otherwise, the truck runs fine.

I think this issue was discussed earlier, but I missed the possible fixes.

Can you post them again?

Thank you.

Reply to
Nathan Schulman

What kind of vibration? Is it similar to a defective spark plug? something else?

The problem could be caused by: Fuel injector Compression Difference (valves, rings, etc.) A/C Compressor or drive belts

Any recent repairs that could have caused the vibration to appear?

Good luck!

Nathan Schulman wrote:

Reply to
AS

AS quipped:

possibly. But there are a myriad of things that can cause vibrations in a vehicle. Anywhere from unbalanced drive shafts to loose/faultily motor mounts. Without a more accurate description of the vibration, it's shooting in the dark.

For example, does the vehicle vibrate under acceleration? Under deceleration? When turning left or right? At idle? In gear? Out of gear? When moving? When not moving? When braking? Does it vibrate if at speed and putting the transmission in neutral? Has there been any other problems? Poor mileage? Uneven tire wear? Excessive brake wear? Has the check engine light, either orange or red been tripped recently? When was the last time the plugs were changed? If recently, what color were the tips of the old plugs?

The list goes on and on.

Reply to
amstaffs

I feel the vibration mainly when the engine is idling. I changed the plugs recently and the old plugs showed no signs of oil on them. There is, I think some tire unbalance, but that won't affect anything when the truck is not moving.

The vibration seems to disappear when I'm driving and the vehicle seems to drive normally. I recently had a clutch kit installed as well as new transmission bearings.

Reply to
Nathan Schulman

"Nathan Schulman" quipped:

ok, that probably rules out driveshaft imbalance, brakes and tires as I'm assuming that "idling" also means you're stationary.

Going on that assumption, there's only a few of things that could cause a vibration:

  1. Motor mounts
  2. Fouled or faulty ignition system.
  3. Fuel delivery system
Reply to
amstaffs

He mentioned that he recently did the clutch, any motor mounts have to be loosened to do that? perhaps they were not torqued to spec afterwards?

snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

Is the truck auto or manual?

Is the vibration present when the car is in neutral/park?

Nathan Schulman wrote:

Reply to
AS

It's a manual transmission and it vibrates when it is in neutral. I should also say that the engine runs well. I think there is additional vibration around 2,000 rpm. I don't think it's the ignition system because it otherwise idles smoothly.

Reply to
Nathan Schulman