need help with radiator problem

just replaced the radiator and attached the electric fans to radiator. How long before the fans kick on.

Reply to
GI-Joe

It depends on whether the airconditioner is selected or not. On mine the coolant has to indicate about 1/8th inch higher than normal on the coolant-temp gauge before the engine- fan kicks in,..if the AC is on, both the AC and engine fan kick in about 1/16 inch higher than normal. If your gauge gets above half scale, and this varies from car to car depending on each gauge calibration, I would be wait a little more ( car idling), then if the engine definately feels as tho its getting too hot, shut it off and investigate.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Hi Joe,

I have just replaced my Radiator this last 2 weeks. I wondered the same about the fans. But my Temp gauge is running about where it always was and I don't think as yet with cool weather here in the UK that I have got hot enough yet to switch the fans on.

I did just yesterday check that the electrics side was ok.

The cable that goes down to the sensor in the bottom of the Rad if you can unlock that and pull it off the sensor the fans should fire up.

I thought that the sensor would have needed to activate as a Closing Switch. But when it gets hot it goes OPEN Circuit.

So unplugging the cable has that effect. An easier place to undo the cable is on the back of one of the fans. On my 95-4Cly its at the top of the right hand fan.

So I think its just I have never reached HOT enough yet. I suppose a new rad and clean out will be more efficient any way.

Mine had 86K miles on it.

How did you find changing out the rad. I bought an after market one. Changed all hoses and Oil cooler ones to. Stat and Rad cap.

Did you do your own

Cheers Johnny UK

Reply to
JM

Check your fans if they are working. You can connect the battery to the fan terminals by using wires just to see if they turn on or not, and you can also use an electrical tester VOM to see if the lines going to the fans have current on them or none. I had a 92 Sentra before the fans stopped working and all it needed was some oil, I took it out and saw a little hole where dust and dirt was able to go inside. I sparayed it with WD40 and worked for another year.

By the way comm>

Reply to
EdV

Fans will activate at 200deg Cel.The correct test procedure is to run vehicle with thermometer in the neck of the radiator until the vehicle is at operating temp.At this time the thermostat should open (180 degrees).Load the vehicle and ensure the fans activate at or around

200 degrees. (It would pay to check temp data for your vehicle as the specs I have quoted are for Australian conditions.) All but a few oddball electric fans operate on open circuit this is a saftey mechanisim that will turn fans on in the event of a sender failure(most senders will fail open rather than closed.)

Hope this helps, Dave

Reply to
videokid400

Say... how does that air bleeding technique work exactly?

When I add coolant / water, I try and squeeze the upper hose to get as many bubbles out as I can. Is this sufficient?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

== Thermostat opens at 180 deg. F. which is 82 deg. Cel. You probably mean fans come on at 200 deg. F.

Reply to
Daniel

I really cant answer if that's sufficient as I haven't tried that one yet. Anyway, Do you squeeze the hose while the engine is running and the radiator cap is open? If the cap is open wouldn't the pressure just go out the mouth? The objective is too get the air trapped inside to go out. I have a cousin who parks his car on a hill when he wants to fill his radiator, ohh the troubles we have to go through for a simple fill.

Reply to
EdV

Actually no I didn't have the car running. I just gently squeeze; if the radiator fluid level drops, more fluid gets added to the radiator. Sometimes it drops, sometimes it doesn't.

Should I do it with the car running? If I do, I guess I should do it and wait until the thermostat opens too, huh...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

No, Don't do it while the car is running... Engine running is enough... : ) Sorry about that just to brighten up our day.

That's how I would imagine doing it, to run the engine, with cap closed. Bleed then refil. I'm not sure if ths is the easiest way but works for me.

Reply to
EdV

Engine running... ok. I always did it with engine off.

Maybe I should do this next time with the car on ramps... just to provide a bit of a "hill".

Thanks

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

How are you going to expell air with the engine not running? not that its a concern with a camry cooling system........possibly in some european vehicles but..........

Reply to
videokid400