No vroom, vroom with the Camry

This is odd. Today as I was coasting into a gas station parking lot, I was going too slowly, so I decided to push down on the accelerator pedal a bit. The car's RPMs increased (I heard the RPM rev up), but the car did not move forward any faster than my coast! LOL.

So after one second of this, I eased off the accelerator pedal, and tried again. The second time was the charm. The 2006 Camry LE

4-cylinder moved like it's suppose to. There's only 15,000 miles on this 2-year-old car. What gives?

Like I said, I pushed down on the accelerator pedal, but the car did not go. Especially disturbing was hearing the REVs increase, but the REVs did not translate into forward motion--I just continued to coast. Very odd. I hope I don't experience more of this in the future.

Reply to
Built_Well

Get your transmission checked RIGHT AWAY. Do not wait. You could end up dead stopped with a running engine somewhere you do not want to be.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Maybe you've wrecked the clutch by riding it? Maybe the clutch is sticking? I believe it is hydraulic on this model.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Is this the latest model Camry? I thought there was some complaints about the throttle system recently but am unsure whether it was the same symptoms you describe.

Reply to
badgolferman

Very bad news that can be avoided with quick action. It may not be too late. If it's a stick, doubtful with the 2006, then yeah, maybe he just fried the clutch.

At minimum, see if the fluid smells burnt. Better to take it to a reputable repair shop or dealer before it burns the bands.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Check the color and smell of the ATF and report back.

By any chance, when backing out of or pulling into a parking spot or maneuvering in tight spaces, do you ever shift from reverse to forward and vice versa without coming to a complete stop where there is absolutely no forward or reverse motion in the car?

Reply to
Ray O

Oops, sorry for the duplicate post. I'll just add a little bit more info:

Yesterday when this happened, I had just started driving the car from a cold start-up about 12 minutes earlier. The temperature was about

76*F outside, and the coolant had reached operating temperature, although I'm sure the oil hadn't yet.

You know me. I treat the Camry very gently, and of course, I always come to a complete stop before using the drive shifter on this automatic transmission.

I haven't had a problem since that brief moment yesterday. I'll examine the ATF fluid later today. I wonder if this is a drive-by-wire issue.

Reply to
Tony Cognata

========

Yes, this is the 2006 Camry LE (4-cylinder) with automatic transmission.

BGM, I think you're right. It's probably just that pesky drive-by-wire issue that many folks have complained about. On very rare occasion, it will act up.

I know the drive-by-wire system is in my '06. Not sure, but I think the '06 might be the first model year drive-by-wire was added to the Camry.

Reply to
Built_Well

I believe that the transmission is controlled by one of the car's computers, if it's an automatic. The problem could be a number of things but there is no way for anyone on this group to give you a definitive answer. Take the car to the dealer, explain EXACTLY what the car did and let them diagnose the problem. They may or may not find a problem but they are your best bet.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

See what Gary said. If you have an AT, then something has gone wrong. Either that, or the trans fluid is really low.

Or the torque converter is going...

Also, check the web. I seem to recall a lot of transmission complaints on Carmys of this vintage.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Tony Cognata wrote in news:48735ddf$0$2570$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

My previous Avalon '97 did this occassionaly, usually when it was a bit cold and I was goosing it a little to get on the freeway or similar. It just didn't go for a second or two, the engine reving up a bit, then it 'went'. After a few years I rarely noticed it happening.

Reply to
Unkadunk

If the engine revs then the throttle is working. Is this an automatic transmission? Unfortunately Toyota's newer U-series automatic transmissions are junk.

If the dipstick shows dark, burnt fluid then the transmission is gone. Other U-series also do this. So take it back to the dealer and let them install a new transmission. I only wonder how long they are going to warranty the new one 1yr/12K miles or then end of powertrain warranty?

Reply to
johngdole