Noise from front when turning

I have a 1999 camry with 105,000 miles on it. I have a noise when I turn fairly sharp (at least half a wheel turn to the right. Then I hear a noise from the front that sounds like a rattle or a bearing. If I let up on the wheel it will stop and if i turn tighter it will be a little louder. It only happens when turning right. What might this be? Its not just a rattle of plastic or something. I can tell its something wrong. What may be the cost to repair this and should I get it fixed right away?

Reply to
oberg.jonathan

Check out this page:

I have a 1999 camry with 105,000 miles on it. I have a noise when I

Reply to
johngdole

I wonder why the article you cite says to drive backwards in a circle to test the CV joints? To me, a bad joint sounds like metal balls being hit together.

david

Reply to
dsi1

It's just one of the many articles on drive shaft noises. I'd think driving forward works too, generally in a tight turn. If there is any binding between a ball and its track they'll bind and then snap loose, making a loud pop.

However, the inner joint makes a completely different noise when worn. Many racers report the inner ones giving more problems than the outer for some reason. More like worn bearings. It's more difficult to diagnose because you can't tell which part is making the noise.

I recently repacked a friend's halfshaft using Redline CV2 grease instead of the included grease packs because of the reports. There was almost no visible oil separation in the CV2 even though it's spec'ed up to 5% vs dino grease's 10% and the dino grease look 10% oil separated already.

johngdole

Probably CV joints as suggested. Toyota makes remanufactured half shaft axle replacements that are like new. You could call around for prices. The noise means the constant velocity joint is worn. If the boot that hold the grease in is torn, water and dirt will quickly ruin it and it should be replaced right away. If the boot is still intact you have more time. Press on the boot with your finger to see if it's torn or cracked through.

Reply to
Daniel

Is it really bad to let it go? It has been like this for a while already.

Reply to
oberg.jonathan

Yes it is. It's not going to get better if you leave it alone.

Reply to
mack

== If you're one of those people who likes to keep driving the car until it stops moving I suppose that's OK. Eventually that joint will break and you won't be able to drive the car. I'm the opposite, replacing things at the first sign of trouble, or even preventatively on a schedule. Conventional wisdom on CV joints is once the boot is torn, they go fast because road grit can enter and abrade the parts under the load of moving the vehicle.

Reply to
Daniel

In some states you'll be advised if you have a torn boot and fail a safety inspection if CV joint clicks. By then you may already be a road hazard to all the nice drivers around you.

A new aftermarket axle is about $80. The ones from Cardone have lifetime warranty. But you need to verify it's the CV clicking before replacing stuff.

Reply to
johngdole