OK to drive with overdrive not working? How about installing a manual transmission?

The overdrive on my 95 camry LE 4 cyl recently quit working. The other three speeds work fine, and I'm still driving it. Is this a good idea?

I'm conidering replacing this automatic tranny with a manual 5 speed. I know this would be a fairly complicated operation, but is it doable? Would this involve complications with the electronics?

Thanks, Darrell

Reply to
Darrell

It's doable because the 4 cyl came with a 5 speed...if you had a V6, that's a bit more difficult.

If you love your car that much, then go for it...but it'll get quite price and you might have trouble getting all the parts you need...you'll even have to switch to a hand brake....

Reply to
hlee

Darrell Why not just sell it and buy a comparable model with standard. It would in all likelihood cost no more and save a lot of headaches.

Reply to
Artfulcodger

I know that converting a Toyota PU from Auto to manual is a lot of work -- they even use different ECUs and wiring harnesses. Not something you'd do to save $ or time in fixing the one there now.

that's

have

Reply to
Wolfgang