OT - Trouble with 2009 Matrix Tires

I've put just over15 thousand miles on my new Matrix and the tires are already worn out. The front tires are badly worn in the middle of the tire and the rear tires are badly worn on the inside edges.

I called the dealer today and the gal at the service desk asked if I had had them rotated every 5 thousand miles. No, I don't spend $30 to have my tires rotated every 5 thousand miles. Then she said that they do not guarantee tires and I should get out the brochure for the tires that came with my car and call the tire company but they probably won't do anything unless I had been doing the 5k miles rotation.

I don't think tires should wear out in 15k miles even if you don't rotate them But now I am wondering if I have the right to be mad or if I should just pay for new tires and forget it.

What would you do?

David

Reply to
hibb

Well, with all due respect, I'd rotate my tires on a regular basis from now on. Buy from a place that gives you free rotation...there are lots of them.

Oh, and car dealers have never warrantied tires. That's always been under the tire manufacturer's warranty. But two things come to mind. First is that if the tires had been rotated every 5K miles, they would have lasted longer since the parts of the tires subject to the most wear is different depending on what position they are in. (Think of an ice cream cone that you only lick on one side...vs. one that you turn with each lick).

Second is that the kind of wear you are describing suggests an alignment or other problem with the car itself. Best to have the alignment done when you buy your new tires.

Suck it up to experience.

Best Regards,

David (another one!)

Reply to
spsffan

Wearing in the middle is overinflation, wearing on edges is usualy alignment, wearing on outsides is underinflation. What are the tires inflated to, is it what is on the sticker on the car, are they the correct original size tire of the sticker. The rears should barely wear and last, mine still look good after 50- 60,000, but fronts normaly you might get half that amount or less. Id guess check the pressure and rear alignment, At 15000 the rears should look nearly new and the fronts a bit worn. 5000 for a rotation, they should rotate, I dont rotate but at maybe 20000+++. Just contact the Toyota district headquarters, complain online, they will help you out to get it right, and call back and talk to the dealer owner, maybe you got someone having a bad day.

Reply to
ransley

I found this out when I went to have the oil changed and the tech checked out the tires. He said that the tires were not over inflated.

I've gotta think that the tires would last a hell of a lot longer than

15k even without rotating, and they are badly worn and need to be replaces very soon.

Thanks, David

Reply to
hibb

Go to a pro tire shop and ask for a reason, Then complain to toyota headquarters, with other issues they have I think you might even get new Free tires. I have tire gauges that are 3lb under, 5 lb over, my tire guy uses one that inflates to 4 over. I have a gauge I checked against a 80$ calibrated unit. Tire gauges sold are often off by a lb or two, so go see a local tire only shop to get their ideas first. The wrong rim or overinflation is center wear, inner wear is alignment or struts. buy im no pro, Google Tire wear patterns and more about it.

Reply to
ransley

That's wrong. Wearing down the center of the tires is classic over inflation. What did the tech say, both front tires have some mysterious but identical defect?

Improperly inflated tires, especially when they're not rotated, can easily wear out in less than 15K miles.

You may want to learn how to measure tire inflation yourself with a simple $20 digital gauge (first thing in the AM before the tires heat up from driving) and perhaps a tread depth gauge ($3 at the auto parts store) to check on how evenly the tires are wearing. Tires should be checked about once a month. Expect to "lose" air when it gets cold outside. And, yes, you need to spend the bucks to have the tires rotated about every 5K miles. But you can buy this service as part of your purchase of a set of 4 tires at your local tire dealer.

Reply to
ACAR