tires ? 97 taco

Looking for some good recommendations on tires. had some wear problems on my 225 75R 14 Michelins

I'll check the specific model and follow up tomorrow with more info

anyway on a 97 regular cab pickup 4 cyl 5 speed

I'm having wear problems on the rear tires. I keep about 32lbs of air in all four and generally drive the truck unloaded to commute 100 miles per day. rear tires are wearing about twice as fast as the front and I don't see why? Anyone have this experience?

I'll get the right size and model of tire tomorrow I'm to lazy to go out and look right now....

Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

Is the tread wearing evenly or more in the center or edges? If center wear, you may have the rears over inflated. Try adjusting the air pressure for an even tread contact patch and see if that helps. Also, are you rotating the tires frontback frequently? If not, that'll help even out the wear, fronts tend to wear the edges more.

Reply to
Roger Brown

the tires are Michelins XC LT4 P225 70 R14

and if may be my fault for not rotating the tires quick enough, whithout hunting down the receipts I believe its been about 15K since I bought the tires and I just recently had them rotated and thats when I noticed the wear issue. Basically the tires are wearing evenly across the tread.

Guy at sears (where I bought the tires) said they were over full on air... I had between 32 and 35lbs of air in all 4 tires... which may be overfull for the front according to the OEM sticker in the car door sill, but not above the recomendation for the rear tires.

I still don't think the tires should have "worn" as much as they have just based on a 15k tire rotation.

Maybe I'm wrong and I should keep a better eye on the tires... of course when you drive 100+ miles a day things add up rather quickley.

Reply to
Elbert

I like Yokohama Geolander HT-S tires.

Fast wear, if even wear, may be due to misalignment. Find a shop with a Hunter alignment rack and do your best to determine if the tech knows how to use it. Get a 4-wheel "thrust" alignment where they determine the precise direction of thrust of the rear wheels and align the fronts to that thrust direction.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Maybe your driving habits are to blame? If you're driving it hard, taking corners too fast, starting off too fast, spinning your tires, etc, it will wear out your rear tires faster in a RWD vehicle. Michelins are known to be 'stickier' than other tires- they have very good traction. Better traction means you'll also probably wear them out faster, especially with the above mentioned driving habits. If you don't have a big need for a high traction tire, you might prefer a different brand for longer wear. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

I don't dog this one to bad... Its my commuter vehicle.. mainly intersate travel 100+ miles a day.

The wear was even across the rear tires....... at this point I have to assume I waited to long for a rotation. 15K

Reply to
Elbert