Question about Previa and Camry motor

I was once told by a Previa owner that the Previa motor is the same as the Camry that the rings are gold and that the engine is considered to be "bullet proof and generally can go for 200-300 miles can anyone verify this? Thanks I have 94 Previa for sale or trade if anyone is interested it's posted on alt.autos.toyota.

Reply to
outbound

Incorrect - the Previa motor is not the same as the Camry.

Incorrect - the engine rings are not gold. Maybe your friend was referring to the "gold package" emblems with the authentic gold-tone emblem?

and that the engine is considered to

Between lease, purchase, and company vehicles, I probably drove a dozen or so Previas, and every single one lasted well over 300 miles!

We got rid of our 93 Previa a year and a half ago year with 95,000 miles, the only non-maintenance repair was a starter. All our friends had shiny new vehicles, and after driving the same van for

10 years, the Mrs. was beginning to want one too. I offered to wax the Previa but she had her heart set on wonna dem Sequoias and I was tired of being celibate so we got the Sequoia.

The Sequoia made it past the 300 mile mark and is now going on 24,000 trouble-free miles. 0 repairs, only oil changes and tire rotations so far. My only complaint with the Sequoia is that it is so sure-footed that it takes all of the fun out of driving in the snow. No more drifting around corners on snowy streets or rocking through snowbanks, even in 2WD ;(

Ray O

Reply to
Ray O

If you want the drift - increase the speed or use worn out tires :-)

Reply to
ma_twain

Thanks for the advice! I'll get my grinder and start working on the excess tread on the tires!

--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply

Does your Sequoia have the vehicle stability system? That can take all the fun out of trying to drift - even with worn out tires.

Reply to
ma_twain

Two thoughts: If you want to get the tread down on the tires, you'll be far better off to find a tire store that sells to racers - they have automatic tire shaving machinery that can take the tread down to exactly where you want it, and do it evenly.

Seems there are a lot of race series, autocross and slalom events that call for "DOT-rated Street Legal Tires" but if you drive really hard on brand-new tires the tread rips chunks off. Get them shaved down halfway, and they work a lot better on the performance edge.

And if you want even more excitement, there should be an easy way to put an On/Off switch on the stability system. Find out which fuse you need to pull to kill it, and wire up a switch. Then you can go out and play going sideways in the snow, without the computer trying to rain on your parade.

-->--

--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Yup, it does, although the only time I've ever been able to activate it is in a parking lot with the steering wheel cranked hard, in 2WD, on fresh snow, and the throttle floored, and then only for a moment.

As a former Toyota employee, I probably had over 50 different company vehicles. Being able to change vehicles every 3-6 months according to anticipated needs was a nice benefit. Sporty cars in nice weather, vans when vacations are coming up, 4WD and AWD in winter, etc. The Sequoia is the most sure-footed vehicle I have ever driven on slippery and unpaved roads, even better than previous generation Land Cruisers. I haven't driven a current generation Crusher so I can't compare with the Sequoia with it. After the Sequoia and crusher, the next most sure-footed vehicle for bad conditions was the All-Trac Camry.

Bummer having to pay for rides again!

--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply
Reply to
Ray O

Bruce,

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll pass. Just a wild guess, but I suspect that my wife would not be a happy camper if I swapped tires or did something to make her new ride start sliding around in the snow. Even though she is originally from Maine, she does not have a sense of humor when there is snow on the roads. Besides, I only get to drive the Sequoia on family trips and camping/climbing trips when I'm hauling a full load.

For thrills, I'll just drive my RWD car that needs new tires and has a stability control defeat switch!

--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply
Reply to
Ray O

1) The Previa uses a 2.4L engine while the Camry's of the same year used 2.2L engines so they are different. What he probably meant was that it was based from the Camry's engine -- that's true. 2) Manufacturers never use gold for rings because they're too soft and won't last. He probably meant that they're like gold and last quite a long time. That's true. I have personally known people over 200k and 300k miles on them. Just make sure you maintain it properly.
Reply to
Viperkiller