Radiator Problem

How much should I be paying for a new radiator for the 96 Camry?

There is about a 6-8 inch crack along the front of the housing.

Thanks!

Reply to
carterfinley

Those radiators go US$150-200 new at NAPA. Some good radiator shops claim that they can repair plastic or metal radiators that are cracked like this. Don't know what it costs.

Reply to
<HLS

With that large a crack, it's not worth trying to fix it. But you can buy one of those $4 radiator epoxy for a temporary fix. But you'll be driving on borrowed time.

NAPA radiators are from Modine, now called Proliance

They come with a lifetime warranty and they arelocal stores near you. Good deal. Koyos are good, but with a 1-yearwarranty.

Good time to change out the hoses with NAPA's Gates hoses

Also change out the rad cap with a spring-loaded metal vacuum return valve, not one with the loose plastic floater valve.

For cheaper online prices you'll have to pay shipping:

KOYO Part # 1640003061 $118.79 PROLIANCE Part # 432363 $109.79 (may not have lifetime warranty like NAPA)

Make sure you use Toyota red coolant with distilled water (or Toyota pre-dilluted pink coolant). If you need to change the thermostat, use a Toyota thermostat. These are the few Toyota OEM parts I'll use.

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

You can get one closer to $100 with lifetime. I tried the Modine, which has a good reputation, but the top tank design is exactly like the original (mine's '93). I got a CSF, which was closer in design to the original in the top tank and allowed for better mounting (should float on rubber parts). It's a DYI job, but not for everyone. Thermostat on the V6 engine is deep, near the pump.

RichK

Reply to
RichK