Re: 1987 Camry - fan does not work at lowest speed

Thanks, Finally bought one from the dealer for $77+tax after wasting about

2 weeks with salvage yard promises. Turns out that every used one was broken as well. Took about 2 minutes to replace it once you told me where and how to find it.

Thanks a million. Would never have figured it out without your help. Seems like a strange way to regulate the fan speed. Is that still done on new cars today?

Barry

Reply to
bmirrer

I found this in another posting - a link that results in the following instructions on how to fix the expensive resistor pack for $3. I haven't tried it yet on my '90. Not sure if the '87 has the same pack but suspect it does. Here's the info: A thoughtful fellow posted this here a while back. As someone below noted, the problem is in the resistors. (The blower works, so that's *not* the problem.) See, the power goes through anywhere from one to three resistor coils, depending on how the button is set. Lower speed, more resistors to lower the power going to the blower.

If you look at the pack from left to right, and call them resistors 1, 2, and 3, then current goes thru 1 only for the next to highest speed, 1 and

2 for the next to lowest speed, and all 3 for the LO speed.

When the #3 goes bad, it makes LO inoperable. It also appears to be the smallest and most fragile of the 3 resistors.

You can pay Toyota a bag of money for a "resistor pack," which on a '90 is under the passenger dash as mentioned below and costs something like $65. Or, if you have a soldering iron and a little patience, you can replace the bad resistors yourself. I had to do this twice.

First, order two resistors from

part #90-903. Then pull the resistor pack out and figure out which are the #1 and #2 resistors. If you have a digital multi-meter (get the pocket one from Radio Shack if you don't), this is easy; add up the resistance until you see how the current flows. Otherwise, you'll have to use logic. Anyway, unsolder the two bad resistors and solder the Radio Shack ones in.

Presto. You have low-speed fans again, for about $3 worth of parts, and now you own a useful digital multi-meter, too.

If you want stay as close to factory settings as possible with the resistors, the factory Camry electrical wiring manual lists the resistors as 0.4, 0.8, and 1.5 ohm for 1-3 respectively.

I'm going to try it and get back to you all.

Reply to
gtp99red

Reply to
John