Re: Deployed Airbag for 96 Camry

Try some body shops, they got tons of them.

I like to disconnect the passenger side airbag on our 96 Wagon. We typicaly > have the rear seat folded since we use it for transporting mainly so we can > not use the car to transport our son in it without disconnecting the airbag > since he need a rear facing car seat . However by doing so the air bag > warning light turns on and I bet that the driver airbag is also

de-activated

since the system sense an error. > > The Toyota dealers I talked with refuses to sell or install a resistor to > deaktivate the air bag do that due to liability issues. > > I am concidering just pluggin in a 3 Ohm resistor as good as I can but I > prefer to use a cable from an deployed bag and do a more quality > installation of the resistor. > > Do anyone know where to find a deployed airbag? Junk yards don't seem to be > allowed sell them. I could off course buy a non deployed bag and cut the > cable from it but that is stupid. > > Please dont tell me not to disconnect the airbag, there is nothing you can > do about that..... > > Ulf. > >
Reply to
AV

Try:

Bought a switch from them and installed it myself (about 1 hour but could do the next one faster). They'll also install one for you but you need a permission slip if they do it for you (easy to get, fax request from NHTSA website, you'll have one in about a week).

Done it twice. Once w/2000 Ford Windstar van and another with a 2001 Solara.

If you buy only the switch, they also send great quality instructions with photos, etc.

(not afiliated with them, just like their service/product)

barry

Reply to
<barry

: Try:

typo.

Also, they sell disconnect kits.

b.

Reply to
<barry

Go to :

Ulf

Ulf wrote: : Thanks Barry!

: That was a great site. I down loaded the form for NHTSA

: They want $85 for instructions!

: How much do they charge for a switch?

: Ulf

It was about $160.00. I opened up the box. It's not a simple switch but one could make one to do the job. This one controls both the side and passenger airbag. Basically the airbag is two wires. You cut one of the two wires, tap in to the uncut one and it either completes the original circuit or switches in a resistor. Additionally, if they are installed by someone, you need the NHTSA form. If installed by someone, the switch must be a keyswitch and the unit must contain a LED indicating the airbag is disabled (LED on with disabled). If you install one yourslf, you do not need the NHTSA permission slip, nor does the airbag have to conform to the items noted above.

Be aware of static electricity discharging. It can set off the airbag. I made sure to touch both the car frame and the ground to "discharge" although it isn't the "staticy" time of the year out here.

In my practice, if someone is in the car besides my son, I turn it on or turn it on and tell the passenger they can turn it off.

I'm in a situation where I have to drive about 200 miles every other week with a small child. If I had to mess around with him in the back seat, it could cause an accident. In a parenting class I took, the instructor mentioned that it could be more dangerous doing that than having the child in the front seat with the airbag disabled. For that reason, I did it. Additionally, I don't want to banish my kid to the back seat for

12 years.

(flamers, keep it to yourself.. I don't want to hear it).

b.

Reply to
<barry

One more thing. I'll note that in the Solara and other Toyota sedans, there is a rectangular cover in the glove box on the (in my case) top left side. If you gently pull out this cover, it allows access to the airbag connector.

Last, when I had one professionally installed and when I installed mine, I attached it to the inside, left side of the glove box. Out of the way and in the place near the airbag wires.

b.

Reply to
<barry

I went in there and found the connector this weekend when I started to look at teh issue. That is why I asked for a deployed bag.

It is trivial to make a dummy for the bridge wire if one had a cable. I don't like the idea of permanetly modifying the wires such as cutting them since I might like to sell the car if Toyota decides to make a Camry wagon again in the future :-)

Reply to
Ulf