Re: Mercedes-Benz hit with suit

It's useless to argue with Huw. Especially when it's the EPA saying anything, which means that it's part of the vast right-wing American conspiracy to take over the world of merry left-green-wing Europeans... :-D

Reply to
Neo

efficiency

somewhat

intensive

market...

It does not need plans because the diesels are an ongoing project from itsy bitsy ones to 3.0V6 courtesy of Isuzu. Are you aware that GM has completely ditched its dedicated hybrid research and development program? It seems not. Keep up with the latest news. It seems probable that GM will now buy in hybrid technology if they ever need to. Huw

Reply to
Huw

correct in

AFAIK it is not necessary in as much as acceptable alternatives exist. Whatever, it does not detract from the fact that it is a significant pollutant.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Neo being of bellicose mind posted:

Take your choice of car:

A) torque engine with low limit maximum rev capability with only 3 or 4 gears? (A luxury car that insulates the driver from driving)

B) horsepower engine with a high limit maximum rev capability and 4-6 gears? (A sports oriented car that communicates with the driving experience).

Reply to
Philip®

It is not the additive of choice for anyone apart from the petroleum industry. It is in the fuel and it is a significant pollutant and leachate. Accept it with grace.

Not significantly so for long.

Diesel fuel does not leach and migrate in the same way that MTBE laced fuel with highly carcinogenic Benzine does. There is absolutely NO safe level of either of those two pollutants.

available

American

They mandated oxygenates. The fuel industry made sure that oil based MTBE was mandated despite their knowledge of the risks, rather than non polluting methanol or other alternatives. Why are you an apologist for an industry that has been caught screwing the US public many times?

scandal

Yes that is the one. Its use was not needed and a scandal of huge proportions, just as the use of MTBE has been for the last 20 years.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

closer

They make no difference between petrol and modern diesels.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Neo being of bellicose mind posted:

I agree with Neo (hope he's right! LOL) These links might be interesting:

July 24, 2003 the California Air Resources Board (CARB) passed anew rule that will dramatically lower diesel emission levels in thestate. The new standards will require a more than 95 percentreduction in the amount of sulfur in diesel fuel beginning in 2006.The standards will bring diesel sulfur content down to 15 parts permillion (PPM) from the current level of about 140 PPM. By doing so,sulfur oxide emissions will be reduced by about 6.4 tons per day. Inaddition, particulate matter emissions will decrease by about .6 tonsper day.

Similar Federal diesel regulations will go into effect nationally beginning in 2007. However, California's rule will apply to fuel sold for both on-road and off-road vehicles, while the federal standards only affect on-road diesel vehicles.

CARB estimates that the cost of diesel will increase anywhere between one and three cents per gallon in California. The national rules are expected to add as much as four to five cents to a gallon. CARB said California's costs are lower because several of the state's refineries already have much of the equipment needed to meet the new standards.

is about to start using GM's HYDROGEN fuel cell delivery cars!What? Not diesel?

Reply to
Philip®

The BMW has a choice of six speed automatic or manual transmissions with Sport packs available with all engines. Many sports cars, coupes and convertibles are now fitted with diesels. Mercedes also fit them amongst others.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The used value varies with region. As there is no demand for diesel cars in Calif I would expect trade-in values to be low.

Different situation in different countries and with diff models. A smaller-engined Merc diesel would retain its value rather well, especially if the model is suitable for taxi-type use.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

In news:3fcba7de snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, Huw being of bellicose mind posted:

Is the "petrol" engine available with a turbocharger or ... the diesel without a turbocharger?

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Neo being of bellicose mind posted:

I've had a go 'round or two with Huw. If you can separate his politics from lubricated nuts and bolts, he's a pretty well read fella.

Reply to
Philip®

In news:3fcbb81a snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, Huw being of bellicose mind posted:

Seems California CARB and SCAQMD and EPA have other ideas

"For the mid-term picture stretching from mid-decade into the next, GM is putting its considerable resources into affordable and effective hybrid technologies, as announced today. And for the long-term, GM has demonstrated its vision of the future with the Hy-Wire concept and the potential of the hydrogen economy and fuel cells as the ultimate answer."

(has this changed recently?)

Reply to
Philip®

In news:3fcbbf68 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, Huw being of bellicose mind posted:

That's nice. What is the typical RPM redline for these diesels? What is the typical RPM spacing between gears when shifted at redline?

Reply to
Philip®

significant

consumption.

performance.

I cannot think of any diesels without a turbocharger in current production. It is no more significant than asking whether the petrol engine has spark plugs. From the above you will see that it has no significance to purchase price or running cost. When comparisons are made, how it generates its power is a red herring or straw man. The figures speak for themselves.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

transmissions

Why should this matter? Sufficient to say that the diesel engine is the engine of choice for many people who like the low down torque and acceleration for overtaking. Look at the figures I gave you for the performance of the BMW again if you are not convinced. It is accepted and shown by all magazines that have tested them that in real life driving the diesel is the most flexible and fastest, and that stands even for the 185hp version against the present output petrol. It's the torque that does it.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Sounds like Huw is on the right track there. Latest common rail diesel's can ah forget it let em find out for themselves. :-)

-- Regards Dan.

Reply to
Dan---

The Alpine D10 says it all for the Steyr-BMW diesel engine. Most people have an inferior complex with the latest diesel engines. The only problem with diesel engines is the narrow band of HP/KW but they usually have a broad band of usable torque. The old diesel engines just made it but the latest they are really proving themselves in the future.

-- Regards Dan.

Reply to
Dan---

In news:3fcc6856 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, Huw being of bellicose mind posted:

Disagree. You and I BOTH know what happens to torque output of either engine when fitted with a turbocharger. Fair comparison is to fit equal displacement engines with turbos and retune accordingly or to have both naturally aspirated. Of course we know what happens there! So far as purchase price is affected, you and I also know there are innumerable ways to spread costs in order to meet a target retail price.

Reply to
Philip®

In news:3fcc6857 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, Huw being of bellicose mind posted:

For the same reason Indy and NASCAR engines run up to 10k rpm and have LOTs of gear ratios. To get torque. When an engine can continue to produce "work" at ever higher RPMs, torque multiplication can be had via the gearbox.

Sufficient for those who drive in a relaxed mode or with an automatic transmission mated to a very low stall speed torque converter.

BMW has done an admirable job, no question. Have the UK magazines done side by side performance tests of specific models that differ only in being diesel vs. gasoline? The irony to me (I'm laughing) is "here" in status land, we went thru a phase where Mercedes diesels in high end luxury cares was considered a status symbol. This was in the early 1980's. We grew out of it. LOL. CARB, SouthernCaliforniaAirQualityManagement, and EPA brought the "enlightened" back to "green" from their former "fuel consumption consciousness." Now the same people are lining up in droves to buy Prius and Honda hybrid.

Reply to
Philip®

As I said, for applications in Opel and Saab. That's a too small engine for an American mid-size sedan.

Let's hear straight from the horse's mouth:

Neo