Replacing compressor on a 94 Camry XLE

I need to replace the compressor on my 1994 Camry XLE (V6) and the price I've been quoted is pretty high. I can't really anticipate what the labor costs are, though I've checked around to get an estimate on the new compressor itself. I was wondering if this is the sort of thing anyone has experience with doing himself...there isn't any AC fluid to change because it leaked out completely the last time we refilled it, and discovered the compressor was shot.

(No, I haven't checked the Haynes manual yet, a friend borrowed it and left the state!)

Reply to
lauraking

Before doing this, you should contact an AC shop to help evaculate the freon and to help pull a vacuum and add freon after you replace the parts. These may be the bulk of your costs next to the compressor.

Reply to
johngdole

Get a second opinion. My local A/C shop said they almost never see those go bad. Wondering if perhaps could be the A/C clutch, which can be serviced - adjusted or replaced independent of the compressor.

Reply to
Daniel

The car's got well over 200K on it, so it sort of seemed reasonable...I was told that the reason after I refilled the AC fluid that it wasn't cold was that it leaked out so fast (thus, I figure I don't need to drain it, as it sounds pretty empty).

Reply to
lauraking

Sorry, don't understand your comment. Refrigeration systems aren't drained, they're "evacuated" with a vacuum pump. If you have a leak, it is more likely at a hose or fitting. The compressor compresses the refrigerant - not necessarily related to leaks. The original Denso compressor is a good unit - perhaps better than a rebuilt unit you would find, and a new factory like kind replacement would likely be prohibitively expensive. Again, if you have leaks, check the hoses and fittings - likely save the cost of a compressor. Then when repaired, have a shop properly evacuate and refill the system with correct quantities of R-134a and oil. Most good shops have "sniffers" - hand held electronic leak detectors that make a sound when detecting very minute quantities of leaking refrigerant, so they can ususally find the source in a matter of moments.

Reply to
Daniel

Sorry, just using the terminology the mechanics used with me. Sort of sounds like they might not be telling me the right thing in many respects.

Reply to
lauraking