1997 Maxima - bad CV boots lead to bad axle?

Under normal acceleration and turing from a stop the front end makes a clicking sound. I took the car in and was told both front axles would need replaced - approx. $400.00. He said the CV boots were torn open and dirt, water, etc got in there and all the grease got out. I guess the clicking I hear is the metal on metal, similar to bones when all the cartiladge is gone. My question is this - do I need new axles or can the exisiting setup be cleaned, greased and outfitted with new boots?

Thanks for any advice,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Your velocity joint(s) have been damaged because of the leaking boot. The joint(s) will have to be replaced.

See the NEW SkyWave this October!

Telstar Electronics

It's generally cheaper to change the entire axle with a rebuilt one than it is to replace one CV joint. $400 is kinda steep, $300/$350 for both would be reasonable.

Reply to
JimV

Ahh - so when I see an axle price that includes the joint and CV boot? My guy said the axles were 170.00 each and about 75 for labor, so actually a bit over 400. In the past I have purchased parts and took them in for him to repalce - I may be able to do that. I am guessing they might only source from one place and not really bother to call around for the best price.

Thanks,

Chris.

JimV wrote:

Reply to