Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

Heh... You'd be surprised on how often I am solicited to sell one of my Gen II Civics...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

To me, 1968 was the cutoff year. After that the guv'ment got way too involved..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yeah, I recall in the 72 Dodge Darts, as soon as my dad got rid of the charcoal canister--no more stalling and stumbling problems.

Reply to
Sharx35

No.

But since you've never paid any attention to that, why should anyone believe that you've paid any attention to ANYTHING going on around you.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Some good reasons:

  • to get newer safety features, so that you get more safety
  • your needs have changed--maybe you need a van or truck

Some bad reasons:

  • "because I want to"
  • "because I deserve it"
  • "Well, Mr. Sharx, that's only 0/month. Just sign right here."
Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

There is not a car in the world with that many kilometers/miles in MINT condition. Learn to use the definition properly for better credibility.

Reasons it is NOT mint: Wear on the brake pedal Wear on tires, wiper blades Pitting on the windshield Seat cover wear Weather-stripping wear or compression Dust in the engine compartment Oil anyplace at all Brake pad and rotor wear Dirty mats

And hundreds more.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have enough safety, thank you.

Nope.

Those last 3 reasons are put of the big credit problem in North America. Clue: one can NOT buy happiness.

Reply to
Sharx35

Two words for what YOU are: ASS HOLE.

Reply to
Sharx35

Antiques and Classics are a whole different story. A 17 year old Honda or Toyota is not either one of those. It's just a 17 year old car.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If you say so. Funny - I'm not a payday or so away from financial ruin. I simply see no reason to keep a car for 17 years. There are lots of reasons why that would make no sense - other than what some may consider bragging rights that they have a 17 year old car.

Maybe reading for content would benefit you - note that I did not say 10, I said 17.

Very good for you. That is a commendable thing. It does not change my position that keeping a car to age 17 still causes me to wonder why. There is a lot of ground between reckless financial behavior and miserly behavior. I'm just one person who does not see such great nobility in keeping something like a car to age 17 just so I can say I have a net worth of close to a million.

You're not as impressive as your question seeks to make you feel.

It's easy to begin to believe that any form of spending might be considered a waste by you. Oh well...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

That is why recession/depressions occur, too much fat and leach on the hind, causes the economic animal to get sick. Once enough leaches are off the hind, the recovery can begin. The more leaches shaken off, the better the recovery. Far too many in sociaty BS their way with their corrupt values.

Sort of like GMers, it is everyone elses fault but GMs. Delusional sickness for sure.

Amazing how many in this recession do not have respect for debt.

Reply to
Canuck57

That should be one word asshole, asshole.

But thanks anyway. When my wife asks me later "did anyone call you an asshole yet today?" I can tell her that yes, they did so you will not be first today.

Meantime, keep that car washed and waxed and out of the sun. The UV can dull the finish and it can go from "excellent" to only "good" in a season. It is years beyond "mint".

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think you missed Sharx35's point.

For the price of one car payment or much less you can fix all of the above. And brakes don't need to be replaced every month. Most people spend far too much on autos and I too have been guilty of this, just not as bad as most.

And if you take care of them, buy a well made one like many Honda or Toyota, semi-heated garage, keep the maintenance up etc., 200,000 miles should be easy to get. And if you do take good care of them and buy a good quality model right off, you will likely spend 1/2 of what others pay for auto. In a lifetime that adds up to a nice chunk of change.

Reply to
Canuck57

You missed the point of Edwin's post. As you are probably aware from hanging around here - most of us are quite familiar with the concept of maintaining and driving a car for 200,000 miles. We're also very familiar with the claims of a car being "Mint".

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mint to me means well kept, not abused, low wear and tear and well maintained. Often used in the lax form, as not too many people buy them, then flat bed them to a warehouse for the strict use.

Sore people are being more efficient with auto? Government, banks and auto are the most expensive items in peoples lives, good to see the public is waking up, all it took is a good recession.

Reply to
Canuck57

That makes you wrong too. Talk to a collector and they will laugh at what you call mint. By your definition, it may be Good or even Excellent, but not Mint. Any visible wear takes it out of the Mint category.

You can call a lump of coal a diamond, but it won't shine any brighter.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, I missed no point. Yes, you can fix all of the above for a car payment, but the car will still not be "mint". Black, white, not even a hint of gray.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Me, for one... actually I think cars got past the point of diminshing returns with added technology before then. My personal car is an '88

944 and I don't know that there's anything newer than that that I'd want that doesn't cost a silly amount of money. If/when it dies I will probably replace it with something used and cheap.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Some people just buy sports cars because they're typically small and therefore easier to handle in a city; they handle well; they're generally fun to drive.

If I have to spend hours of my day trapped in a rolling box, I might as well enjoy it, rather than making it feel like a chore...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Actually 130K is only about 80K miles; that's hardly getting broken in for a decent machine.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel