Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

You're just winning friends all over the place aren't you? Good thing you're rich, retired, and own that 10 year old piece of junk that you plan on keeping for another 7 years.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I don't give a FUCK where this is cross-posted too--YOU can f*ck off back to the DNA cesspool, too, from whence you came.

Reply to
Sharx35

I find this is funny. 21.4 - 26.3mpg only on your Accord V6?

Yesterday I race with one of these cars in terms of power there is no match. In Fuel efficiency there is no match neither.

Our improved Mercedes-Benz C280 or E320 can beat yours. I would love to prove this again in front of a news editor or a media person. Please let me know when you're ready to see something you've never seen before.

snipped-for-privacy@extra150miles.com

Reply to
GasSaver

Who gives a FUCK about German junk in a Toyota newsgroup?

Reply to
Sharx35

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:QW7Hl.1134$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

They may be informally referred to as "classics", with a lower-case "c". But that would be purely a subjective opinion.

And fraught with controversy even within the CCCA, which homologates vehicles as "Classics".

There are advocates for acceptance of certain post-war vehicles as "full Classics", although CCCA officials have so far resisted them. What, do they think that there is not one single car made after 1948 that is unique or significant in any way?

To properly fit the mold of the true "Classic" owner, you need to start sneering at owners of aging "modern" cars, especially Japanese cars.

I stick with my '91 only because I don't WANT anything newer. I don't WANT air bags, OBD-II, an all-electrical interior, even more plastic than I've already got, etc. If my previous older cars hadn't all rotted out from under me, I'd probably still have one of them.

Reply to
Tegger

....exclaimed he, without a single clip. But anyway, "from whence" is incorrect..."whence" already includes the "from".

Reply to
cavedweller

I don't think that anyone's dumb enough to believe that. Also realize that many vehicles have very long power train warranties these days, especially certified used vehicles.

Reply to
SMS

Are all Toyota owners really "challenged," or have we found ourselves an outlier?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Oh? That is open to debate and I quote:

Q] From Marty Robinson: Last week you quoted Sir Christopher Wren as referring to 'The Ailes, from whence arise Bows or Flying Buttresses to the Walls of the Navis.' I'm sorry to learn that Sir Christopher used the redundancy from whence.

[A] This is another of those grammatical shibboleths, like avoiding a plural verb with none or not splitting one's infinitives, that are open to linguistic debate, to put it mildly. The argument against this form is that whence already includes the idea of coming from some place, so that including from makes it tautological.

The debate is complicated by the fact that whence is not that common a word these days, being rather literary; I had trouble finding a modern example that wasn't prefixed by from. This is from Newsday of 11 November 2004: "He is a legendary figure in his native England, whence I have just returned." That's a good example of the "proper" use.

Objectors to from whence have support in logic, but logic doesn't feature much in English constructions, especially idioms, which is how one perhaps should regard the phrase these days. One newspaper archive I consulted, hardly comprehensive, contained more than 250 cases of from whence just in

2004. It succeeds because it is informal and colloquial compared with whence used alone, a construction that is unusual enough to force readers to stop and work out the meaning.

And even a brief look at historical sources shows that from whence has been common since the thirteenth century. It has been used by Shakespeare, Defoe (in the opening of Robinson Crusoe: "He got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterwards at York; from whence he had married my mother"), Smollett, Dickens (in A Christmas Carol: "He began to think that the source and secret of this ghostly light might be in the adjoining room, from whence, on further tracing it, it seemed to shine"), Dryden, Gibbon, Twain (in Innocents Abroad: "He traveled all around, till at last he came to the place from whence he started"), and Trollope, and it appears 27 times in the King James Bible (including Psalm 121: "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help").

Though Dr Johnson objected to it in his Dictionary of 1755, calling it "A vicious mode of speech" (he meant it was reprehensible, not depraved or savage), most objections to it are no earlier than the twentieth century. One reason may be that its critics are unaware of its long pedigree.

World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion, 1996-2009. All rights reserved. Contact the author if you want to reproduce this piece, but first see my advice page, which also has notes about linking. Your comments and corrections are welcome

****** BTW, "troglodyte" is a better alias than "cavedweller".
Reply to
Sharx35

The REST of what became the human race crawled out of the slime--nate's forebears remained.

Reply to
Sharx35

My neighbor who likes to fiddle with old (pre 1963) cars occasionally has to work on his mother's late 1980ish Oldsmobile with a Quad Four engine. Car only has about 80K on the odometer yet it runs like shit and is next to impossible to diagnose or repair. Freakin' thing has been laid up for months!

Everything is in the way of everything else. Industrial engineering at GM??? Not as far as I can see...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Heh heh... Clue free is rampant these day!

BTW, Howz JP doing???

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The period from 1948 to I believe late 1960's when the guv'ment became over involved (with everything) is considered Milestone era though that club has almost dissolved into nothing. They simply accepted too many brands and models many of which weren't really significant. A victim of early politically correct don't offend anyone syndrome I believe.

LOL

That just ain't in me my friend. Of course, the majority of "Full Classic" cars were furrin'...

I hear you loud 'n clear! Being a former resident of the northeast, I finally fled to Texas where fifty year old bolts/nuts still turn on a parts car. I have sworn on a stack of shop manuals never to get/own/or work on a rust bucket again. Of course, the latest '82 is a compromise as it spent time in Kansas...

It's just that freakin' heat in the summer that slows me down but then again that's why gawd invented air conditioning!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

snip

Ho' boy... Just keep on diggin' that hole deeper 'n deeper. Be sure to keep a mirror for reference "from whence" you originated...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Still alive and kicking, and buying Avantis against his better judgement :)

I on the other hand have been listening to his advice and passing on all of them...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Do you realize how foolish you make yourself look when you compair 2009 vehicles to 1980's vehicles?

Reply to
80 Knight

Perhaps, but what would YOU ever do without Google?

Reply to
cavedweller

Yep, good time to bury your money in the back yard and keep at least 90 days of supplies on hand...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Went right over your li'l haid, eh?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Heh, heh. Spend even MORE time on the net, using a lower level of abuse?

Reply to
Sharx35