Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

By your definition, right off the lot it looses mint status. Thus no mints really exist. Tires for example rot where they sit.

Reply to
Canuck57

Mint can be used as a noun or as an adjective.

Mint condition is a valid statement. Are you from the mountains in the south?

Reply to
Canuck57

"Nate Nagel" wrote

..which is why I bought a 2004 Accord with an automatic, because I got sick of years of shifting a 5-speed Civic through a 20-mile roundtrip commute through the city each day. It's given me virtually no trouble. My only complaint is the ride is noisy except on rubberized asphalt.

Reply to
Howard Lester

To me a stickshift is not a chore. But my commute typically only goes stop and go for the last mile or two on my way home; it's mostly good other than that. (and these days I'm driving an automatic anyway, not by choice, but because that's what I'm given to drive. But I have only bought four automatic vehicles in my life; one of which has been converted to a four speed and one of which I'd collected the parts to convert it to a three speed before I sold it. The others were a '67 Dart that was a rolling disaster and my F-150 which I don't drive enough to worry about.)

It sounds like the noise you complain of is mostly tire noise, yes? Might be able to get some better tires and make that go away. Some tread patterns are just simply more noisy than others.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

"Nate Nagel" wrote

I got Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds with the hopes of cutting the noise down vs. the OEM Michelins. I don't detect any improvement. Road noise has been a perennial complaint with Accords, at least, per Consumer Reports.

Reply to
Howard Lester

Now you're catching on. It is not my definition, some dictionary writer does that. Mint condition is often used to describe a collectible item such as a model figure, doll, or toy that has never been removed from its box (NRFB[1]), or in some cases is as good as new without any scratches or other damage. The term is also very widely used in record collecting and comic books.

The mis-use of a term does not change the definition. Well kept and not abused cannot mean mint. It can mean excellent. I didn't make the rules, but I'm going to follow them so we all know what we are talking about. I hope others will also.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It is a valid statement, but it does not apply to 10 year old cars. It can apply to uncirculated coins, stamps, and similar items, but once a car is driven thousands of miles, it cannot qualify.

I've heard this so many times by people looking for used cars. "The car was advertised as being "mint condition" but when I looked at it, it was a piece of crap" Expectations were high but when the product does not meet the claims, interest is lost no matter how good the price is.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But then there are the 1st and 2nd generation Civics of which two are notable...

1983 Civic 1500 "S" which was the forerunner of the early CRX

and

1982-83 1300 Civic FE which was the forerunner of the early CRX(s) that got great fuel economy.... 40+ MPG City and 55 MPG Highway in actual real world tests..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Did I mention that I pay CASH for my cars?

Reply to
Sharx35

Take your Honda shit to the Honda newsgroup, PLEASE.

Reply to
Sharx35

Inter yourself--then, for once, you will have contributed something to the Earth.

Reply to
Sharx35

Mike seems to wear it as a badge of honour. Frankly, anyone saddled with years and years of car payments because they INSIST on always trading in their vehicles is, IMHO, a loser.

Reply to
Sharx35

Good to see that you have a sense of humour, Ed. At home, the Camry is always garaged--your point is well taken.

Reply to
Sharx35

With the Camry, for example, one doesn't have to trade in every 2 years to have a dependable vehicle. With GM, Ford or Chrysler...all bets are off....in most cases. I realize that there ARE exceptions to that comment.

Reply to
Sharx35

The point is well-taken. Back when I collected coins, MINT condition did mean that the coin appeared to have been freshly minted, regardless of its true age. I should have used some other word to describe my Camry. My bad. But what word or words? Can't say "as good as new" because that isn't precisely true. Suggestions?

Reply to
Sharx35

I think, Ed, that "well kept" might be a more accurate description of my Camry. Again, point well taken.

Reply to
Sharx35

The Ozarks?

Reply to
Sharx35

Nate, I wasn't dissing sports cars for others--when I was younger I had some sportier vehicles such as a 74 Dodge Challenger Rallye and a 65 Plymouth Barracuda. But, that was then, this is now. Now, I like a smoother ride, less road noise etc etc. I drool at vehicles like the Aston Martin line, for example.

Reply to
Sharx35

Indeed!

Reply to
Sharx35

It wouldn't matter if you paid in gold. A 17 year old Honda is true garbage.

Reply to
80 Knight