Short Changed by Dealer On Spare Tire?

I bought a 2005 Camry XLE. It comes with full size spare tire. My Camry came with aluminum wheel installed by the dealer and I paid extra for it. I just noticed the spare tire is not aluminum. Instead it's the original steel wheel. Was I short changed by the dealer? Was I supposed to also get an aluminum spare tire as part of the aluminum wheel package?

Thanks for any info! ZR

Reply to
XYZ ABC

No, you do not get an aluminum spare if you get aluminum wheels. Aluminum wheels are standard on the XLE, so I don't know what you mean about the dealer installing them since they come that way from the factory.

In case you had the dealer install some optional aluminum wheels (to replace the standard aluminum wheels) then the spare would not be aluminum.

You can buy a extra aluminum wheel if you really want one, but the spare is for emergency use. Tire shops will mount the tires on the existing 4 aluminum wheels even if you want to use the spare in your rotation.

Reply to
Mark A

I think Mark A pretty much covered it. My '93 XLE came with alum rims and a steel spare - that's how most makers do it, I think, except probably the high end autos. There's no real reason to have a spare tire on an aluminum wheel, since it's for emergency use.

Reply to
Hopkins

The 2005 Avalon Limited comes with a spare that matches the wheels on the car.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Thanks, guys. The manual says I should rotate all 5 tires if I have a full size spare tire. That's when I found out the spare tire is not aluminum, 5K miles too late. I would guess rotating 5 tires will get few thousand miles more out of a set of tires.

Reply to
XYZ ABC

I've always wondered whether the hassle associated with tire rotation is worth it. The last couple of cars I've owned wouldn't permit it because the front and rear sizes are different, and I haven't noticed that my tire mileage has suffered.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Don't pay any attention to the manual. Do not rotate the spare. When you need new tires, put the spare on one of the wheels and put the best used tire on the spare. So if you are replacing 2 tires at once, then you only need to purchase 2 new one. If you are replacing all 4 at once, you only need to purchase 3 tires. Tire shops that I go to do not charge extra for this.

Reply to
Mark A

Mark - What an intelligent recommendation. Of course, it only works for cars with full size spares, and you don't get the benefit of evening out wear caused by caster/camber alignment problems or front/rear wear caused by power from the drive train, but still.....I like it!

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Whoops, should have said.

So if you are replacing 2 tires at once, then you only need to purchase 1 new one.

Reply to
Mark A