Sloppy Keys in two Camrys 89 & 90

The driver side lock and the ignition lock cylinder are very worn on these cars (and on a now-departed 1986 Camry). If you have high-mileage Camrys you know the story - key practically falls out of the ignition, can open the door with a flat screw driver, etc., etc. And it's not because I hang too much weight on the key. I don't feel like shelling out $C115 to reward Totota for putting such shoddy locks on their otherwise excellent cars.

Any cheap fixes available out there, and how difficult is it to re-key door locks (i.e., replace the tumblers with ones from a healthier donor)? Anybody done this?

Thanks in advance, H2Only

Reply to
H2Only

Avoid putting them on a ring with 2 lbs of other keys and they'll last 280k miles! Why not add power door locks - kit from JC Whitney's is only like $70 for 4 doors.. 15 years of service isn't bad - is it? Door cylinders are easy to replace.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Get the keys copied, they may fit fine, old ones may be the problem. Perhaps the locks wont hold the keys is also because of dirt in the lock is not alowing pins to move in and out. There must be a cleaner -lube you can spray in the lock

Reply to
m Ransley

I problem I did notice are bad copies. People tend to go to Walmart or other inferior copiers and copy the original. This tends to create errors in replication. The proper way to cut a key is to use the key code. A dealer or proper locksmith can easily cut the key from the code so there are no errors.

Reply to
Viperkiller

True use a key code for copying , old worn rounded keys wont give the correct sharp tooth pattern , I have an unused key somewhere that is sharp and correct

Reply to
m Ransley

I have an 89 Camry since new. Recently an attempt was made to steal this car using a sissor (RCMP says that is the prefered tool to break ignition locks) anyway the sissor broke, the Camry lock did not. Locksmith removed the broken sissor tip and although the lock was a little rough for a few weeks it's now back to normal. So I am more than pleased with the quality of the locks.

Slim

Reply to
Slim Pickings

Viperkiller wrote: lock is not alowing pins to move in and out. There must be a

Get a can of aerosol Lube/Penetrant from a Ford dealer. Best stuff I've found and only costs about $5-$6.

If you don't have the codes for a locksmith then a dealer should be able to get the key codes for you from the VIN. They only need you to prove ownership and your identity. If they know you they'll bypass the verification. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

The dealer only have the codes for 5 years back. That's at least how it is here at my location on the Southeast. Toyota themselves can get it for longer than that. They will have to give it to the parts manager of your local dealer, who will in turn, check for your ID. Fortunately, I know a locksmith who can get the key code from an unused spare key that I have. m Ransley apparently has the same idea.

Lexus is a different story since they use the lasercut keys.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Good suggestion about the key code, the key is worn at least as much as the lock, I'm sure. I'll try that first since its much easier and cheaper. Also good advice about locksmiths - why get it made by a kid a the hardware store just to save a few bucks? I haven't done that for many years.

Reply to
H2Only