Timing Chain

Hello,

In article ,

I don't know about the 4-cylinder, but the 6-cylinder uses a timing belt. Which engine do you have?

It's a time consuming job to remove the belt on the V6, who told you it's bad? What are your problems?

Thanks, Jay.

Reply to
Jay

I have a 98 Toyota Camry with 86,000 miles. I was just told it has a bad timing chain and it seems like it is a big job to fix it. Has anyone had any experience with this? is this common on Camry's. I haven't heard of it before. Thanks

Reply to
Spunky

Not aware of any older Camry having a timing chain --- they all have timing belts. Dealers all the time run $199 replacement specials for the 4 cyl models. Not sure how one could tell it was worn without removing it. If it breaks it is a non-interference motor so no engine damage done - you are just stranded. Its normal to replace them just so you aren't stranded at that mileage. No - not a big job! The chain on the 22RE is a big job - $600!

it

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks for the help. It seems like it is not as big of a deal as I had feared.

it

Reply to
Spunky

Generally 70,000 is the usual replacement period, although I believe this model has 'no manufacturers recommendation'

Reply to
HachiRoku