Where to find the air conditioning filter on a 1998 Camry?

What could it possibly be...?

I looked, and I saw a brown panel of sorts under the carpet next to the gas... didn't feel like opening it up though (it was ~1am last night).

The passenger side has a different colored panel (looked like a black grid) on the left side carpet.

Reply to
onehappymadman

---What inspired you to check this location, by the way? Did the dealer tell you?

We called the dealer again. They first didn't know, then they rechecked it in some of their technical books and that said it. So that made me check that location.

--- Help us out a bit... is it *right next* to the gas pedal? Or further down, say a foot towards the back?

It's almost right next to the gas pedal, a little more near the motorspace. When removing the filter you have to push the gas pedal down, else it's in the way.

@Timberr-- I highly doubt it. Especially after a third poster also said there is no filter in this car. But, if you breathe enough fuel, you can "see" lots of things

Well Timberr since the very first minute you've been negative, so I don't expect anything else from you anymore.. I guess when you breathe really enough fuel you don't see anything at all anymore.

-- No cabin air filter was put in the Camry until 2002. I just went to the dealer today for an inspection and checked with the service and parts departments. This poster must be talking about something else.

Well like I said before I'm not. Maybe some people who do not have airconditioning in their car are checking for that filter?? In the States it might be regular to have airconditioning but here in the Netherlands it's not.

-- What could it possibly be...? I looked, and I saw a brown panel of sorts under the carpet next to the gas... didn't feel like opening it up though (it was ~1am last night). The passenger side has a different colored panel (looked like a black grid) on the left side carpet.

Well it might be the same panel, only mine is white. The panel I've removed had some grid too. Maybe you have to check it when it's not bedtime..

Reply to
Co

Reply to
<psommerhalder

You know, that's weird. My Haynes for the '97-01 Camry says there is a filter behind the glove box. So far I haven't figured out how to remove the glove box, so I can't speak from experience yet, but it's in the Haynes.

The Haynes couldn't be wrong, could it? >:) {malicious grin}

Reply to
onehappymadman

Don't bother. I have the same book and it's not there. I disassembled the glove box and looked for it to spray it with this crap that was supposed to remove the odor I have from my climate system. Check out this conversation:

badgolferman