Will gasoline freeze?

The temps are in freezing range in Chicago now. I'm wondering, should I use the "Heet" or similar gasoline additive to prevent gas lines from freezing? I thought that gasoline can't freeze anyway.

Reply to
Rog

Don't worry about gas freezing --- its the water that gets in gas from condensation or the gas station tank that will freeze (and usually in the supply line). Heet and other alcohol-based products absorb that water. If you use a quality gas brand and go thru a tank a week ya probably have nothing to worry about. A tank a month and I'd add a gas supplement.

Reply to
Wolfgang

If you drive every day you should be OK ,

If not , an additive "Heat" will help.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks guys!

Reply to
Rog

If you lived anywhere in the north, except Chicago, there's no problem as additives added by the oil companies prevent freezing. Chicago has stricter pollution standards so you should check locally. Here in Minnesota, I drive once or twice a week with no problems.

The design of the fuel supply system can diminish the gas line freeze problem. Gas, as we recall from all those WW2 sea battles, doesn't mix, but floats on top of water. The condensed moisture collects at the bottom of the tank below the gas line (and the line doesn't have low points where water can collect). Water will collect at the bottom of the tank during the winter and gradually dissipate, either from additives or with the help of summer's heat.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Try to keep your tank full of gas in the winter to minimize the air inside of the tank that condenses into water due to temperature changes.

Reply to
ROBMURR