Yet another Timing Belt question 94 V6

I'm building a mild custom Camry94 V6 to be my Daily Driver. the Details of which can be seen here -

OK I'm taking a poll

First the Scene set-up-

I'm replacing the 175000 mile blown-headGasket engine (1mzfe) with a used engine that is supposed to have less than 70,000 miles. (but no way to verify this, but the engine is clean ) The Timing Belt is LIKE NEW .. smooth, supplle, no cracks.. and the Water Pump has obviously been replaced because I see a little blue RTV sealer squished out of the gasket.. the guy I got the engine from said he drove the Camry ( although it was slightly wrecked) for a few days and it ran great .

Now you know as much as me-

The Question - Replace Timing Belt / water-pump/ tensioners while the engine is out and it's super -simple? or don't Replace it cause it looks so good?

I'm not worried about the 250 bucks all the parts cost, but I don't want to just throw money away either.

I am replacing- spark plugs- valve cover gaskets, cam oil seals.

What say you -

? Yes - Do it while it's simple. it's your Daily driver and you need the peace of mind.

? No- don't bother if it's already been replaced and it looks good. Besides the used engine could have a rod knocking . U won't know till it's in the car.

Reply to
wingsnaprop

[...]

Its probaby new, wait.

Reply to
m Ransley

Why not just replace the belt but not the pump and tensioner

Reply to
Mark

I would be happy to leave the WP in, as you have noted the sealing compound.

The timing belt is another matter. These are relatively cheap and because these engines can suffer from oil-seal hardening which then leads to leaks and shaft damage, I 'd do that job while you have the engine out.

Before doing anything tho,..drop the sump off and check for tell-tale metal debris. All engines produce some minute speckles of bearing material,...but a lot will indicate all is not well.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I'd change it all. These are maintenance items and you'll know they're done. Personally, I don't trust anyone else's work. Had receipts from the prior Owner for dealer service on timing belt and water pump, but when came time to replace them, the thermostat jiggle valve was in the wrong position, even though there's an index mark on the inlet neck, and the water pump was obscured with FIPG sealant. The factory Toyota water pump does not require additional sealant, except I put a tiny amount at the water by pass pipe seal. Also, when you change the timing belt, change the oil seals - camshaft, crankshaft and oil pump. That's my vote.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

run the engine and see if its good. then a few thousand down the road change all the seals behind the cover, water pump, and idler and tensioner. but while its out REPLACE THE REAR MAIN SEAL

Reply to
toyotawiz

dont bury the seal too deep or itll leak, also clean up the gasket surface withemery cloth..good luck

Reply to
toyotawiz

Thank you guys! the things We have decided to do to the engine while it's out - ( Some ar DUH.. items)

replace Spark plugs, Valve cover gaskets, Cam seals, Remove Oil pan and clean it out - oil pan gasket, rear main seal, front crank seal, water pump (just cause I'm worried it's a re-man), and only because it will be off anyway , the belt.

All factory Toyota parts!

Sooo ... Anyone ever have a tensioner fail on one of these V-6's?

Thanks for your input ! I'll post pics this week of the motor-work. Wingsnaprop

Reply to
wingsnaprop