1982 Pickup no High Beam Indicator

I am currently struggling trying to track down this problem with my high beam indicator light. For some reason, it does not turn on when the high beams are engaged. I have checked the bulb, but for some reason my service manual does not tell me the correct wires (it says red wires, I have green). Can anybody tell me what wires do what, and what I can check to fix this problem. Thanks

Reply to
Chas

The high beams work, but the blue light on the speedometer does not light. Is that right?

I'd have to be pulling the speedo head about now ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes thats correct, I'm going out now to attempt to locate the problem with a test light. Maybe I will pull the speedo.

Reply to
Chas

The simplest solution is usually the problem. The high beam indicator's light bulb is burnt out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If you changed the indicator lamp and the replacement was tested and known good, the next most likely IMO would be to check the connections from the wiring harness to the printed circuit of the instrument cluster. Loose connection or bad solder joint at a pin. See if the voltage for the high beam indicator is getting to the pin on the cluster connector and has a solid ground also.

After that, get the FSM Wiring Diagrams out (*) and start tracing it back - there might be a diode inline but the next stop is probably at the high beam relay. The power has to be at the relay, or the high beams wouldn't be lighting up.

*- Forget about the wiring diagrams in the aftermarket repair books, I have tried to use them before and they are scary wrong, the only thing they /may/ get right is the wire color codes because each car maker tries to standardize their own.

They "take apart and document a representative model" vehicle and try to extrapolate that one car out to cover 6 or 8 model years and several different body styles of that car model, and it simply isn't possible to be that accurate when reverse engineering the blueprints.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

in the 28 cars that Ive ever owned I have NEVER seen a dash lamp blown.

Reply to
Scotty

Sorry I lied, my 1962 Minx had one blown on the Speedo. Thats it, never seen another blown since.

In finding the fault Id start with the use of a test lamp at the light socket/s, then if no voltage there then head back to the main relay for the high beams, then the selector switch on the steering column. 99% of dealers will say that if its the stalk then a whole new one will be needed, Ive pulled em apart and fixed em before and they work fine. (If your gunna try pulling one apart do it in a small room without carpet for when those little tiny springs let go and you cant see where they land!)

Either way a methodical search will come up trumps.

Reply to
Scotty

After all of that, you jsut said that the easiest problem is the most likely suspect. I'd not bother with any test until I was sure the lamp itself was good.

Since the high beams themselves work, I'd not suspect the combo switch. Which brings us back to the indicator lamp having blown.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thats the hardest to check though. Although it maybe one of the culprilts it sure as eggs the item that Id check first purely on past experiences.

Also the OP didnt state whether or not the main beams were actually working, just that the indicator lamp wasnt working. If all else was confirmed to be working then yes, head for that little lamp on the speedo cluster. Its just that Ive never seen a modern car (The only one that Ive ever seen blown was on a 1963 car!) with a blown indicator lamp on the dash.

Scotty

Reply to
Scotty

It is not the bulb, I swapped it with the "Brake" bulb, and the brake light came on. My guess at this point is something in the cluster itself. I will post if i find the problem.

Reply to
Chas

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Actually, he did. Well, I had to ask, but he said I was right.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland