1988 2wd Pickup idling problem...

Does anyone know what would cause an idle to be high in cold tempuratures. It is fine in the summer, but in the winter, it starts to idle high. Not that if I put it in neutral and push on the gas pedal, it will go back to normal idle, but when I put it back in gear, I feel that it goes back to a higher idle and the vehicle moves a bit faster as a result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
jpan

Until it warms up or all the time? Cars have been made to fast idle when cold for quite some time ... to help get the engine warmed up and reduce smog. If all the time when weather is cold, does the engine temp gauge warm up to normal? it's common for the thermostat on that engine to fail open and the engine run cold.

Reply to
JeB

Reply to
jpan

Reply to
jpan

Reply to
jpan

Reply to
jpan

Reply to
jpan

If the gauge doesn't go up near the middle when the engine warms up then I'd replace it.

Reply to
JeB