1993 SR5 pickup

I'm looking at an SR5 in the next couple days, but from what I gather from the pictures it's sagging a lot in the rear end. How much is a new set of leaf springs on average? Is it smart to replace the shock when you replace leaf springs or can you just swap the springs out?

I don't know what motor this truck has in it but it has power steering and a sunroof, and it has 328,000km on it (about 203,800 miles). It's pretty high mileage, but don't these things pull 500k km with the right maintenance?

Thanks for any help,

Isaac

Reply to
isaac

When replacing the springs, I would at the very least also replace the shocks, Shocks around here are about 50 US$ per axle. Mine only has 164,000 miles but shes still going strong. I personally know one guy who has over

700,000 on his 1989. He is very adamant about having regular service done to it. I have had some minor issues but nothing more than normal replacements, IE. Alternator, (2 times) and a sensor or two. Teh alternator was replaced once for a bearing issue and once for a failure.

Toyotas are VERY reliable no matter which model you choose

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

Or just have a leaf added. If shocks are old looking I'd replace them - new ones (for non-strut applications) are not expensive. KYBs work fine for me.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Ouch - are CAD only worth .5USD? Its worth maybe $1500 USD --- less if rust is perforated the metal. I'd take a serious look at the frame for rust. Worth maybe $500 if frame is bad (for parts).

Reply to
Wolfgang

Well, I went out to take a look at it and take it for a drive. It's the V6 engine with an auto transmission (bad combo, I know). The body's in alright shape, a little rust in the wheelwells and around the gas cap, but nothing major. Turns out the sagging shocks was just an odd angle in the photograph cause in person they look perfectly normal.

The exhaust is broken where the header attaches to the cat. He says he's going to try to get the broken section replaced before he sells it. Obviously it's very loud and when trying to make it up a pretty easy hill it was lugging pretty hard, almost as if it was hesitating, and the acceleration on a flat was miserable. Is this because of the auto transmission or is it due to the lack of backpressure in the exhaust system?

I'm told him if he gets the pipe fixed I'd be seriously interested, as the price is right ($3500CAD asking price, I'll offer $3000) (around here 88-89s go for 5 to 6 grand easily). Am I right in assuming the cause of the lacklustre performance is probably the broken pipe?

Also it needs an ebrake cable - are these expensive or hard to install? I'll need a shop manual first thing.

Reply to
isaac

The broken exhaust can affect the preformance, but the 3.0L is a dog of an engine and the auto tranny will make it even worse. I would save up for a stick.

With around 200k miles on it, you are comming up to the point that things are starting to wear out. Alternator, PS Pump, AC pump, etc.. will all most likly have to be replaced within the next 100k miles, if they have not been by now. Go over it real close and inspect everything.

I am guessing its about time for a timing belt change. And check the dealers for recalls on it. You may get some work done for free.

The e-brake cable is not bad. The factory shop manuals will help out greatly if you plan to do any work yourself.

n Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:33:18 -0800, isaac wrote:

Reply to
Eddie

The frame was clean; the truck has been undercoated once a year its entire life.

Regardless I've decided I don't want an automatic, and I can't afford to run a V6, so I'm saving my money and waiting for a clean 5 speed

22RE.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll be back when I find my four banger ;)

Cheers,

Isaac

Reply to
isaac