1996 Tacoma, oil leak?

I bought this 96 Tacoma about 6mths ago. It has about 72k miles on it, and was checked by my mechanic. About 3 weeks after I bought it, I changed the oil. I noticed a thick gook around the oil cap, and surrounding area. I cleaned this up, and changed the oil About 1 week after this, I checked the oil, and nothing was on the stick! I then added some more oil, and it seemed fine. I checked the oil again a couple of days later, and a little over low was shown. I decided to leave it the way it is, and check it the next day. I checked it, and it was almost full. I decided to leave it be. Today I checked it, and nothing was shown.

Could that gook I noticed earlier be causing this? Maybe the line where the stick goes is clogged? What causes this gook? What can I do to clean the oil resouivor out?

Any tips/suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Reply to
Ya Ya

Ya Ya