1999 4Runner 4Cyl transmission conversion man -> auto

Has anyone replaced a manual transmission with an automatic one on a 1999

4Runner with 4 cylinders? If so, can you tell me if it was worth the effort. I would like to do it for the convenience, but, I know the manual transmission might be a little stronger.

Also, what about price?

Thanks.

Guicho.

Reply to
Guicho

Ouch an almost 5k lb vehicle with 4 cylinder and automatic! Don't do it. To go from std to auto is a royal pain with lots of wiring to swap out. Absolutely not worth it.

Reply to
Wolfgang

It would probably be easier/more convenient to sell that one (they're quite desirable, the 5spd 3rd gens, apparently, since my dealer calls us at least once a year saying they've got a customer begging for one) and buy another with the automatic transmission. I can't see why anyone would NOT like the

5spd 4cyl set-up, I'm absolutely nuts about mine.
Reply to
Pookerz

You will need to swap more than the transmission: the ECU, some wiring, and of course the transfer case, propellor shaft, etc.

Not really advisable; better option would be to sell/trade for the configuration you want. And do be aware that the 4cyl/auto combination is the least powerful.

lycka till! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper