Re: 2003 4 Runner V8 engine questions

Can't help you much with the timing belt, I don't know one way or the other.

As for the oil filter, it's at the front of the engine all the way at the bottom. I haven't actually tried to get my hands or an oil filter wrench on it yet, but as near as I can tell, the only way to change it is to remove the front skid plate. If anyone knows of another way I'd love to hear it.

Steve Gold 03 Limited V8

Hi all, > Just purchased a new 4 runner V8 and have a few questions on the V8 > engine. Where is the exact location of the oil filter and what is needed > to change it, like on the side or bottom? Is the V8 engine > noninterference?, just in case the timing belt should break in the > future. > Thanks a much!
Reply to
Me

Thanks for the info Steve, I have a few thousand miles to go before my first oil change, want to be prepared, what are the odds I will need a new oil filter wrench cap, good since every new car I have purchased cannot use any of the old filter wrench caps...lol

2003 4 Runner LTD V8 4WD
Reply to
Galileo

Thanks Tim! I better stick with the scheduled timing belt change then.

Reply to
Galileo

Don't even bother with cap-type filter wrenches, there are too many variations in the knurls on the end of the filter cans. If you have

10 different filter cap wrenches, the new car will need a different one to get the factory filter off, and the replacement filter will take yet another one you don't have... You can /not/ win. ;-P

Just go get one of the belly-band style wrenches that fits any normal sized filter. I have the one that takes a standard 3/8" extension and breaker bar instead of a fixed handle, so with enough extensions you can get it in almost anywhere.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I wonder why Toyota hasn't done away with timing belt on the IForce. Most of today engines are using chain, especially those variable valve timing. Dodge was the first went back to chain since the Intrepid (if I recall correctly, and they invented a noise canceling chain technology)

Timing belt is the technology of the 80 and early 90. My 95 Nissan van uses belt and it needs replacement at 105K miles.

Granted that replacing belt on the iForce engine isn't that hard. But that should be a chain by now.

Reply to
DTT

I tried changing it on my Tundra without taking off the skid plate. What a gawdafull mess.

Now I just take it off.

GC

Reply to
Chips