2007 Tundra continues gas-hog trend

As far as the recreational uses for bigger vehicles, I'm not arguing whether for some people, a truck or SUV is the best possible choice. But for many, owning a truck is nonsense. For instance, I know one guy who owns the biggest Dodge pickup made because in October, he needs to trailer his boat from the marina to a storage place, and back to the marina in the spring. The rest of the year, he crawls to work in traffic, getting 14 mpg. Forget that "he can afford the wasted gas" - that's not relevant to what's in the next paragraph.

*This* is the point, Jeff: You're only thinking about what you've been told to, or what's most prominent in the news. Forget global warming. Forget predictions about how much oil is left. Bigger vehicles cause more local air quality problems. Not in all places, because other factors determine whether the junk in the air sticks around in higher concentrations, but still, it cannot be debated. THIS is why it's irresponsible to own vehicles larger than we need. It affects everyone RIGHT NOW, and there is no question about that.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

OK, there's truth there for sure. Not very relevant in some areas, very relevant in other areas.

I think I mentioned what I would order right now if I could: the Toyota (cannot for the life of me remember the name) that seats 7 and gets

45.6 overall mpg.... Only available in Europe right now. Small turbo-diesel. I'd still have to have a truck though.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

I would have chosen a 3 liter TD over the V6 in my Tacoma in a heartbeat.

Reply to
B A R R Y

When I was up in Canada, our brothers to the North , a couple months ago I saw a diesel Land Cruiser SUV...

Yeah, I almost bought a Jetta TDI a few months ago, to replace the TLC now that I have the Tundra, but in the end... it's a VW! My mechanic just laughed when I asked him if they were OK. When the Japanese bring a small turbodiesel car into the US market, I am THERE! Supposed to be happening soon, too, and it looks like Honda will be the first.

Hope they are biodiesel-ready. It'd be stoopid if they aren't.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

Reply to
Holmbrew

So, it's best to do nothing, then. I get it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reply to
Phisherman

"Phisherman" sez:

That is not Toyota's claim, its the EPA's claim and they are all optimistic or "best case" estimates if you will.

I get 14 mpg city in the summer & 12 mpg city in the winter when running heat 'n lights more. Highway mileage varies with speed with 18-20 mpg at

45-55 mph, 17 mpg at 65 mph and 15 mpg at 75 mph. If I'm towing the trailer with bikes and the back loaded up, it drops to 13-14 mpg at 75 mph.

Mine is an '04 4x4 D-Cab. Hey, its a 1/2 ton pickup with a V8 engine. What more do you want? If I want better mileage, I ride my motorcycle.

Good drivin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
vlj

Clearly you are not a truck owner.

If you want mileage, buy a Tercel. If you want to haul stuff, buy a Tundra.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Ok folks so what should I expect from my 06 SR5 D/C 4.7 With only 560 miles on it ama getting 11-12 all city miles.

Reply to
;)

Let it finish breaking in and the gas milage should improve. I had the same problem with my 04' Tacoma DC and had horrible gas milage for the first 1K miles...... after that I had 18 easy, 20-22 when easy on the throttle.

Reply to
Mac

Break-in helps, but anyone buying a Tundra is not looking for fuel economy. Tacos get 50% better mileage.

Reply to
Phisherman

What is wrong with building a pickup that has factory specs to pull more than 7,100 lbs and 11,000 combined?

These guys and gals making $100k plus in an office sure like those $40k pickups. Ever sit in one? It's pretty nice. This truck won't see a muddy field or hurt livestock till it's traded in after 6 years and 75,000 miles. That's how it works, guys.

Reply to
Luba Papageorgio

I was not really looking for gas mileage, just more comfort. I tried the Taco but my knees were touching the dashboard. Like any one else I look at the $$.$$ when I fill up. Maybe I can push it and get better mileage cause as of now it's been driving like a virgin, I can't coast or go any slower without being run over.

Reply to
;)

At 220 and 6'2", I could drive my daughter's Tacoma PreRunner without doing the knee-smash into the dashboard.

You elected to drive a full size truck. It will drink lots of gas. Move on. I drive a '95 Bronco, and I don't bitch about the gas because I elect to drive a truck. Which brings us back to, move on.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Ok at 6'4" and 280 mine did touch the dashboard with the seat all the way back.

I could care less if you drive a Bronco or the Bronco rides you. Your confuse as what bitching and trying to find out what to expect from a new vehicle. Soo do us all a favor STFU and keep on keeping on.

Thanks

Reply to
;)

So, you're saying move on? :-)

I'll add one thing here: After getting disgusted with the off-road BFG tires that my Tacoma came with, I replaced them with Nokian WR tires. There are situations where you can evaluate rolling resistance, and the Nokians are pretty amazing, compared with the BFGs. I didn't do a MPG comparison, but there has to have been at least a small improvement.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I have an '05 Tundra with over 40K miles on it that I use for a service truck, and drive it like a sports car. Sure I got the V-6 and manual trans, but I still average 18 mpg on regular gas. Thats not bad for a full size 3/4 ton truck.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I jsut bought a new Tacoma extend cab SR5 package and auto. Two wheel drive. Where my right knee is there is a plastic pocket that is made to cover up the holes where the hand brake goes on the standard transmission. At 6 feet tall, I was hitting my right knee on that thing. Pulled it out and all is well now.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Just goes to show you how 6 feet tall is rarely "6 feet tall".

I'm also 6', and my knees are nowhere near the dash. I have a manual tranny, so I even have the handle sticking out of the area where you removed a cover. Since I need to shift, it's also extra important that I'm close enough to the pedals to develop full clutch throw.

We see this in the bicycle shop all the time. People have height divided up between different sections of the body, as well as differing arm lengths.

How people buy cars without driving them, I'll never know!

Reply to
Bonehenge