22R overheating during warmup

I just finish rebuilding a 22R in an 86 Pickup. I have not really driven it since rebuilding it. I recently noticed the temp gauge going past half, almost to the lower high mark, before settling down below half during the warm up. Is this normal? I don't think there are bubbles in the cooling system. I did not replace the thermostat, but I'm thinking of doing that next.

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

No.

Absolutely. Make sure to buy an OEM (or at least, OEM-style, with bypass valve/hole) t-stat; as a failing or aftermarket t-stat can cause those symptoms.

Otherwise, you do have a cooling system issue; is the heater core hooked up correctly? Did you reuse the head gasket? You can probably visually verify a gasket leak with that dramatic of a rise in temperature.

good luck! GTr

- -

gregory trimper

This page should answer your question and offer a solution:

Its a 2-valve thermostat that Toyota developed specifically to handle the 22R engine coolant temperature overshoot problem as described in TSB: 029032787 "22R-E Engine Temperature Overshoot".

Reply to
Roger Brown

Thank Roger, it makes sense now. I had the heater wide open when I was trying to get the bubbles out. I had left in the open position during the test drive. I'll try a test drive with the heater closed.

Thanks again,

JW