110 V8radiator cap and overheating?

I've noticed recently that my 110 is running at a slightly higher temp. Not overheating as such, just the wrong side of the centre line on the gauge (used to always run just below the centre). I put it down to the hot weather, but it's cooler now and about the same position. Last night I happened to open the bonnet after a short run (to normal temp) and noticed the expansion tank cap was gently hissing. If the cap was operating/venting below pressure, causing the cooling system to not be pressurised correctly, would this cause a slightly hotter running system?

Reply to
danny

If the cap was

Hi Danny

YES - I'm not going to go intat physics of it, but get yourself a new one and the temperature should drop.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff J

a higher pressure cap will allow a higher boiling temp .

check you have the right level of water in the system , it may have lowered the water level due to steam/water escaping rom the expanded system and thats why you have higher temp on guage.

a petrol engine will be very likely to overheat in this weather anyway , diesels allways run cooler .

hope you still have the fan cowling behind the radiator and havent removed it like many do , because this will make it run hotter.

check youre ignition timing also , that it hasnt moved. prob set at TDC or 6deg ATDC on 110 v-8 ..

Reply to
M0bcg

I'm a little aware of the physics, since my business is espresso machines (big old lever machines) where the boilers are kept pressurised, with the resulting increase in water temp etc...

Reply to
danny