22R Toyota Pickup MPG

Lately to save my wallet from the GAS demons. I've been driving my 86 Toyota Pickup Home Depot beater, on local errands around town. Though most of my driving is City, I get about 20 MPG. Is that good?

On a side note, I recently passed a SMOG test with flying colors, way below the average. The tech stated that this pickup is almost at same level as some of current LEV cars. Pretty good for a carbureted 4 banger.

TIA

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Cregster

i have a '92 toyota 22re fuel inj. 280k miles

I get 29.6 mpg.

rural roads, less than 65, small-medium city driving.

j.

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking

theres something else wrong with mine - I still haven't fixed the surging problem, seems low power too, runs better when its cold, then worse when the choke goes off. Not real bad, just annoying and apparently slightly affecting gas milage. (got 25 on the last tank) starts and idles good, O2 sensor maybe?? is this typical??

Reply to
Cregster

I'll have to check my numbers again, it's kind hard to remember the last fill up, since it does not have a trip odometer and it's an automatic. I don't think the Over Drive is working, I need to check that.

Thanks, for the >

Reply to
Joseph Wind

I had a surging prob, going around corners, replaced fuel pump, everything ok then

J.

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking

Reply to
Cregster

How did you know it was the fuel pump? Only around corners, wierd.

Reply to
Cregster

started on corners, tben uphills, then on the level, surging, no power,

took it to dealer, they said fuel pump, wanted a lot of money.

bought one, and did it myself.

no problems.

j.

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking

I have an 84 4x4 and I have never gotten over 19mpg. Is yours 2wd or 4wd. It makes a difference in answering the question.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

I have a 2WD '86 with 374,000 on the engine, with a rebuild, and I get between 19 and 28. An amazing engine and a great truck.

"Brad Taylor" wrote:

Reply to
Bob Lema

My '86 22RE never has gotten better that 18-20 around town.

Almost 20 years with the same mileage.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Forgot to write the 86 is a 1 Ton with auto transmission. That probably makes a lot of difference.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I post'd this a month ago. It's a 2wd carb 22R automatic. Since then, I found out the Over Drive was not working, bad switch. I haven't figured out the new mileage recently since I only drive it on Home Depot runs, but I think, I'm getting more mpg. I'll update once I fill up again.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

I have a 4 speed, 2WD, no AC or any comfort accessories. Maybe that adds to the MPG numbers? I really get between 20 and 28 mpg. I thought I was getting MPG at the low end.

"Joseph W>I post'd this a month ago. It's a 2wd carb 22R automatic. Since then, I

Reply to
Bob Lema

Sounds good to me.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

Sorry, I didn't know. I've been dealing with a family death and fell out of the loop. I would excpect a 2wd to get much better mpg. With the OD switch out of commision that would make a big difference.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

Looks maybe normal according to the other posters.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

No prob, it's worth the update every once in a while.

Reply to
Joseph Wind