42K on original shocks needs replacement?

The rear shocks on a 99 tacoma (4X4 Extended, SR5) I am buying need replacement. Is this normal wear?

SAH

Reply to
Steven Holmes

Hello,

Toyota shocks often go south early. I have had to replace shocks and/or struts on my daughters Celica, my pickup and my wife's Camry. All prior to 100K on the vehicles. The replacement, aftermarket, have lasted for years and over 100K, so it ain't the roads or driving style.

good driving, John Kessler

Reply to
John N. Kessler

Steven Holmes wrote in :

I had my rear shocks replaced at 12K miles on my 2001 Taco under warranty. Bilstein shocks are supposed to be good but the OEM units seem to be of low quality.

Brewster

Reply to
Brewster
42K on original shocks needs replacement?Not a suprise. I'd install new Bilstein shocks on all four corners. Ken

SAH

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Ditto to that! We replaced the factory shocks on our '96 4Runner around 46K IIRC. Bilsteins on all 4, and 40K later still rides like new shocks. They have a lifetime warranty when you buy them aftermarket. We got a good deal on our Bilsteins at

andinstalled em ourselves in an afternoon.

Reply to
Pookerz

Thanks to all responders. The dealer I am buying from put new ones on today at no charge ­ Gabriels I think. When they or the front ones go, I¹ll do the Bilsteins.

Thanks

SAH

Reply to
Steven Holmes

We're thinking to replace the shocks on the 4Runner at almost 80K, the fronts are showing signs for replacement. Got the Bilsteins sitting under the workbench as we speak. Here's the question: just how the hell did you get the nut loose on the topside mount on the rear shocks? It's proven to be a real PITA.

Reply to
1 Of The Masses

Hubby did it while I kept the kids out of the way, and he's not around for me to ask as of this posting (deployed military) but as I remember he said it was quite a PITA, and took a lot of cursing. I think they had to pretty well break the old shocks to get them off, and he had use of a lift rather than managing with jackstands or the like. I'll email him and see what he says, and get back to ya tomorrow.

Reply to
Pookerz
42K on original shocks needs replacement?one of my rear shocks on my 96 4runner starting leaking oil at 49k miles. this truck only has 54k on it now and is driven lightly. i suspect poor seals in these shocks and they blow because of time exposed to the pressure and oils inside.

4runner went to Monroe, my 02 taco went to bilsteins.

SAH

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Hubby's reply: "That one sucked but getting the new one on was worse, Had to use a wrench and an allen If I remember. Getting the old one off I didn't care if I damaged the old one. I followed the Haynes book and improvised a little. Not looking at the shock or the book I can't remember exactly but yea it was a real pita. I wish I could help more but that was a long time ago.But yes I had a lift. The other big pita is getting the new Bilsteins on the front. The Bilsteins don't compress very easy, and had to use a crow bar/pry bar at the bottom of them to get them in place. But tell him when he does get the back on, you can't get the torque wrench on it to torque it so you have to be careful."

Reply to
Pookerz

Many thanks to both you and the hubby. My better half and I tried on the rear of the 4Runner and we couldn't figure out how to neatly do it other then taking steps that included destruction as an option. We elected to put it off till another day. I for one feel happy to know that our conclusions were right on.

Ya know, maybe this is a job for the mechanics...

> and

Reply to
1 Of The Masses