4Runner Fuel Gauge TSB - Toyota a no show

I have a 1999 4Runner SR5 with 60K miles.

Lately, I've been noticing erratic behavior with the fuel gauge. Often, it reads higher than what's in the tank - sometimes by as much as 1/4 of a tank. Turn the egine off then back on and it goes to the correct level.

I searched this group and found that there was a TSB published some time ago by Toyota that requires a new sending unit, etc. to correct the problem.

I went to my dealership and talked with the service manager. He confirmed that my VIN was affected and pulled the TSB and gave it to me. The TSB says that coverage for the TSB is only for 3/36 so the SM said I had to call Toyota and ask for it to be covered.

I call 1-800-toyota and they refused to do anything about it since my vehicle is out of the 3/36 warranty period.

My gripe is that I've bought 4 toyotas over the past 7 years and have never had any of them serviced anywhere but a Toyota dealership and know them by first name. The reason I build a relationship with the dealer for 7 years is hoping that if this day came, they'd help out. I know Toyota can't be everything to everyone and there has to be limits, but you would think that the dealership or Toyota would go to bat in this case and make an exception.

The reason is that Toyota knows of a defective part(s)that can affect operation of the vehicle and won't fix it no matter how many miles are on it (its the fuel gauge for pete's sake). I hate to whine about this, but good grief. This is my reward for being a good, high-price dealership paying, 4 time repeat customer??

I hate to go to arbitration, and was wondering if anybody has other suggestions.

thanks

Reply to
james randall

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, james randall being of bellicose mind posted:

What parts are required to correct this problem per the TSB and what was the total cost of the repair?

Reply to
Philip®

Better yet, have your servcie manager ask for "factory assistance".

Reply to
MDT Tech®