4RUNNER Heater Resistor Cost $140.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would someone tell me if I can wire my blower motor directly to the battery? Toyota wants $125.00 plus taxes for the resistor for the heater. thanks, "freeezing" Dominique

Reply to
Richard

Where do you live that they want that much?

See if you can find a good used one at a wrecking yard, the rule of thumb is never higher than 50% of new parts. And you should have the "High" speed working even without a resistor, as that feeds full 12V to the motor without the inline resistor in the circuit.

If the motor doesn't work at any speed, you've probably got fan motor or power circuit problems - and a bad motor would kill a new resistor pack fast, since the resistor will overheat with no cooling airflow. Take the motor apart (carefully!) and check & oil the bearings.

I don't know the values of the factory resistor, if someone has them you could always get a commercial ceramic wirewound resistor or two (or three) and cobble your own resistor pack together so at least one of the lower speeds works. All that Toyota device consists of is three or four open wirewound resistors in series, the fan speed switch moves the tap point on the resistor - insert more sections of resistor in the circuit, the slower the motor runs.

Be sure to mount the replacement resistor(s) in the fan airflow like the factory one for cooling, or it'll soon cook itself.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

What year is it for? The 84-88 were under $20 couple years ago.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I just went through this troubleshooting with my '94, and it was actually the fan blower speed switch that was defective. I replaced both, of course. I bought the resistor online, wish I could remember the site. I paid about $60. It's a real bear to install.

Try searching the web for the resistor, or better yet, I bet someone here will help you.

Good luck!

Bill Chesapeake, VA

Reply to
bill

Try Rockauto.com The resistor for my 88 was $8.98 plus shipping I've had very good luck w/them overall Slik

Reply to
slikrikd

Try looking for one in the junk yard. Usually any Toyota will work. There are many common parts in Toyotas.

Ben

Reply to
benmlee

SHIIIITTTTTT!!! These cost retail at Toyota $75 here in Australia and $5 from a wrecker. Ask your dealer to explain his costings to you and if there is another truck/van whatever that uses the same resistor.

When mine went the A/C would click on but no fan speeds 1,2 and 3. $5 later from wreckers and all fixed.

Reply to
Scotty

My blower quit on all but high speed just recently. I had the same thing happen about 6 years ago and I removed the resister and built my own replacement coils-using similiar guage wire. It lasted 6 years and so I just now finished soldering in new coils again and now it is working fine again. It is extremely easy to do if you can use a soldering gun. A lot cheaper too. $60 CDN at my local dealer.

Hawker22

Reply to
Hawker22

I'm sure I have the resitor problem that has been discussed. I only have hi speed which is SO LOUD. The truck was my dad's who died last year and he apparently did something about it himself, perhaps he removed the resistor -- I don't know. But now I don't know how to locate the resistor. Is it near the blower motor? Is it up behind the heater controls? The truck is a 1989 4X4.

Reply to
readit

can anyone tell me where the resitor is located and how to install it 1989

4X4
Reply to
readit