4Runner loud hollow humm when accelerating

My 94 4runner V6 started making a very loud hollow-sounding humming noise whenever I accelerate. When I let off the gas it stops. Any Clues?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

That's most likely something in the drivetrain - a out of balance shaft/u-joint or possibly one of the differentials.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

My '88 Pickup with a 22R has a sound dampner in the air intake tube. It's a p[lastic box about 6" square and 8" tall. When the tube that connects it to the intake tube comes loose, I get an annoying hum when I accelerate. The hum goes away when cruising.

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM