85 p/u - wheel leaking?

Okay, my truck thinks it's funny now to just start leaking every type of fluid I can put into it... well, not that bad.

I walked outside today to go to class and I saw a lot of what could be axle grease around the inside of my rim on the passenger side of the p/u. Thinking it could also be break fluid, I checked the resevour and it was full. I haven't had any trouble with the brakes anyways but I figured it was best to check. Is this a common problem and how hard etc is it to fix?

Thanks - Josh

Reply to
TRDteam

Front or rear wheel?

See if you can smell the leaking fluid, gear oil has a very distinctive fragrance :)

Reply to
Roger Brown

Try rinsing it with water. If it dissolves you've got a leaking wheel cylinder.

Reply to
: )

My apologies everyone, I guess you do need a little more info. It's an 85

4x4 x-cab 22RE, everything stock. The particular leak I was referring to is on the rear passenger side, just around the inside of the rim. On the front, however, I know they are leaking as well. Fluid is coming out of the 4x4 hubs. I live in KS (not that it should make a diff).

I don't smell anything nasty, am I'm familiar with gear fluid smell. I guess I'll just have to pull it apart (the rear one) and see what it's about. I hear fixing the front one is more challenging, and may require those SST tools.

Thanks guys - Josh

Reply to
TRDteam