85' Pick-up 4x4 Rattle in dash at freeway speed only??????

Hello, My 85 Toyota 4x4 pickup is driving me nuts. I love everything about my truck but the persistant rattle in the dash. The sound starts at about 55mph and sounds like someone shaking a rattle paint can behing my glove compartment. I have removed my glove compartment completely and the noise is still there. It appears to be something in the heating or air conditioning system but am unsure. If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix the noise, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
jendall

but the persistant rattle in the dash. The sound starts at about 55mph and sounds like someone shaking a rattle paint can behing my glove compartment. I have removed my glove compartment completely and the noise is still there. It appears to be something in the heating or air conditioning system but am unsure. If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix the noise, it would be much appreciated.

You might try using a rubber mallet to tap around the dash area and see if you can duplicate the rattle and track it down that way. It could also be you have an out of balance rear driveshaft, that's about the speed I feel mine if I have an issue there:

Roger Brown

Get up inside the dash and see if there's any wiring bundles loose, broken clips, etc. Your best bet is to get a manual to detail how to tear that all out. You might even take your seats out to give you more space to work (we're talking weekend project, probably.) It could be something worked it's way loose (we had some rattle after the dealer fixed the dash on our car, turned out to be wiring bundles left unsecured) or an animal got inside the vents/ducts during a short period of non-use and brought nesting goodies with it. The latter would likely also be evident when running the air on high. We had a mysterious noise develop that sounded like a crop duster or other small prop plane buzzing us, at highway speed but not in town, right after some cosmetic applications to the antenna... Turned out the two small patriotic flags we'd attached started spinning and vibrating harmoniously... You just never know what is going to move different and make a funny noise at 70mph but not at 45, etc. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

truck but the persistant rattle in the dash. The sound starts at about

55mph and sounds like someone shaking a rattle paint can behing my glove compartment. I have removed my glove compartment completely and the noise is still there. It appears to be something in the heating or air conditioning system but am unsure. If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix the noise, it would be much appreciated.

On two of my cars, it turned out to be the speedometer needing lubrication. I just opened up the speedo case, and put some grease on the gear. Fixed the problem.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Lee