91 Speedometer Cable Replacement

I've got a 91 4X4 with 150K, and the speedometer needle has taken to becoming extremely nervous. I've heard that Toy speedo cables get flaky at about 150k, so I'd looked into replacement.. I've pulled the dash cluster out and visually inspected that end of the cable and removed the transmission end of the cable and the picture of the replacement cable listed on partsamerica.com looks identical on both ends. However, now to my dilemma: The pictures on the parts website show the provided replacement cable as complete with the connectors for both ends and a new 'sleeve' .. Based on the convoluted routing of the current 'sleeve', I'd suspect I'd be getting in over my head to try and change out the sleeve AND cable.. My Chiltons book indicates you only replace the internal cable not the jacket/sleeve.. Does this sound right? Unless some lube gets into the current jacket, I'd suspect I'd be right back where I started.. Having never done this before, what's IS -correct- procedure?

Thanks in advance DaveATfrandinDOTorg

Reply to
Dave Frandin

Ya got it apart so try lubricating it from the speedo end. It worked on mine for another 30k til I sold it. I used liquid graphite and had to remove a little black rubber washer to get the oil to go down the cable.

Reply to
Wolfgang

The correct repair is to change them both, especially if the old cable broke in the old casing.

Reason being, the casing has a plastic lining that wears over time, and allows the cable to whip. And when the cable breaks, it often shreds, flares out, and rips up the inside of the casing lining something fierce.

You can change just the cable, but the problem will be back again a lot sooner than if you change out the cable and casing as a complete assembly. If you plan to sell the vehicle soon, then it isn't your problem - but that's not a nice thing to do to the next owner.

I've done one on my Cruiser - it's a couple hours work to get the carpets open and slide it into place, nothing too hard. Just do NOT kink it when you install it, and follow the old routing and fastening methods exactly.

The hardest part is getting the sealing grommet (it comes with a new one already in the right place) snapped in place properly where it goes through the hole in the floor or firewall, you'll be fussing with a long screwdriver and practicing your "Cussing like a sailor" before you're done.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Anyone know if a 91/92 cable will fit a 95?

PartsAmerica cable for 91/92 is $15.99, cable from Toyota for the 95 is $80, Yowch!

Reply to
Mark McCuen