92 4rnr 5spd trans ?

For the past couple years the clutch has been slipping a bit. But just past couple weeks, the clutch pedal feels different, softer, less resistance. And the stick feels different too when shifting. Also, it grinds every time I put it in reverse whereas up to just a month ago or so, it never did.

Are these tell tale signs of a certain kind of impending failure????

Thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

Sounds like your clutch disc is about used up. how many miles on it?

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Does it over REV when you go up steep inclines? If so, it sounds like you need a new clutch.

The parts are inexpensive (about $100 for V6) compared to the labor. If you are handy with tools and have the right equipment, you could do it in a day.

As far as impending failure, It will just stop working. Get it fixed as soon as possible. Don't get stranded in the middle of nowhere with a bad clutch.

The best way to check if you clutch is going bad is to try to move the car from a dead stop while in 5th gear.

Reply to
Rastamon

its got 130k on it. heres what happend, i couldnt believe it. forgive the spelling and what not, in a hurry.

well when i left work on friday, put it in neutral to start then couldnt get it in first, trying to push it into first was actually rocking the whole truck froward just from the stick action, sos, im fugged, i thought, so i got it going in second and then first was ok . went straight to a shop. that day i looked up clutch price and also saw that theres a hydraulic clutch system. master and slave cylinders. got prices on all of them just so i knew. then. the guy takes a look, then takes it for a spin while im waiting. the incompetant old lady at the desk keeps tabs on me sos i dont steal or wreck anything all the while people keep coming in and asking wheres this guy and that guy and i was actually answering these questions cause im sitting ther on the couch and they are asking me and when i direct them to her she has no clue, so im the acting secratary, this guy just left, that guy isnt here. funny. so he comes back and says, oh, the fluid was really low so i topped it off and it works fine, he couldnt even get it to slip like its been doing for like 3 years. and he said the slave cylinder is leaking but i could probly wait till spring, its a $30 part and its a piece of cake to replace, he told me how to do it. so now its working great. it didnt even take an hour and didnt cost me a dime!! so when its clear enuf ill try replacing the slave cylinder.

very rarely in life when your expecting terrible news do you get such relieving great news. AWSOME. the end. and it hasnt slipped for me since. fugging hilarious. low fluid. wow.

Reply to
faust_151

Glad to hear that you figured it out. The slave and master clutch cylinders are notorios for leaking. I think I had both replaced once. Just keep an eye on the fluid level from time to time. But when you feel it slipping or over revving, it time to replace the clutch.