96 Tocoma check engine light

I have just bought a 96 tocoma with the 4 cyl engine. The check engine light is on. It was missing on # 2 cyl. and had oil around the plug and plug wire. Cleaning that up and replacing the plug has it running good now.

How do I determine if the miss on #2 is what caused the check engine light to come on? How do I get the engine light off?

Should I replace the valve cover gasket? There is no leak to the outside, only a little around the plug.

I assume the only way to check the codes is with a code reader. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Yes, a code reader will give you specifics. A common cause for the light on older engines is the oxygen sensor.

Reply to
DanG

Yes, you need a code reader to check and reset the codes. The good news is Autozone will either pull the codes and reset them for you, or allow you to use the code reader to do the work yourself. If you are in California, they will have you do the work. In either case, it is free.

Leaking around the plug is scary. I hope it is not because the plug was loose. I discovered the hard way that plugs in aluminum heads should have anit-seize used on them or they may not be seated and torqued properly.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland