99 tacoma elec problems

Have a 99 tacoma that popped a turn bulb (driver side) yesterday. Got the replacement bulb, installed and the turn signal fuse blew. Replaced the fuse (10 amp) and that blew as well. Took the bulb out, tried the next fuse with the RIGHT turn signal activated, no problem. Yet when the LEFT turn signal with the bulb in is tried, the fuse blew again. Then , I tried to start the truck...NADA- not even the click of the bendix. Left the light on for a while to check the batery- shows 12.10 volts. 2 unrelated problems??? or interrelated problem? TIA Pat- whose glad he still has the 85 toy as a backup..

Reply to
patrick mitchel

I had a similar issue (may or may not be related to the issue you describe) on my 2000 Tacoma. Turns out there was a faulty module of some sort in the left rear of the vehicle. I think it was related to the tow light setup. When I replaced the fuse, I noticed smoke coming from the lamp housing - and immediately pulled the fuse. Toyota replaced the module, wiring, etc.at no charge because it was covered under a recall issued for the 2000 model year.

I don't know if this will help you, but thought I would share *just in case*.

Cheers!

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

Reply to
Chad E. Carlson

Turns out the problems were created by my own haste to replace the blown turn signal bulb. It's possible to put the bayonet bulb in 90 degrees out (that is the 2 prongs are pushed into the slots cut for the copper contacts).The result was I deformed the central contact enough to permanently force in to touch the other contact even after removing the bulb and installing it correctly. I checked all the circuit and finally figured out that I was still getting a shorted circuit without the bulb being installed.I managed to trace it to the bulb holder, did some prying on the contacts and managed to realign the contacts , back to the norm after installing a new hazard/horn fuse as well as the turn signal signal fuse. Best intentions pave the road to hell..... Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel