'69 electrical problems

Hi.

I'm new to this group, and need some advice. I've got a '69 1500 VW Beetle, with serious electrical issues.

The indicator lights don't work. A quick check revealed that the flasher unit is broken, so I replaced that. The indicators clicked 3 times, then the flasher unit burnt out. I replaced it once more, but it didn't even turn on the indicators before burning out.

I've traced the wires, and everything looks fine (except for at the hazard switch - no idea what goes on inside that switch).

Any ideas on what would cause the flasher unit to burn out? It's a 12V unit - same as my car. One of those three-point units.

TIA Peet

Reply to
Peet Grobler

Those things are pretty generic, I think. Are you sure the flasher is hooked up correctly? Weird how it does not blow the fuse, so you may want to make sure your fuse rating is indeed correct.

Disconnected the input to the flasher and, using an ohm meter, check the path from the output of the flasher to ground -- it should pretty much read open. If your flasher is solid state, you may read a couple of Kohms but nothing in the ohm range. Since your flasher blew out without even turning on a turn signal, it could be that your problem is somewhere in the steering column switch or hazard switch. A bulb/socket could be shorted, but that would only cause a problem if you use your steering column indicator, so that most likely isn't the problem.

If you read a short behind the flasher, disconnect switches one at a time until you read open (near infinite). The last wire you disconnect when it reads open points towards the offending part. It could also be that you have a pinched wire someplace, causing a short.

Speedy Jim's site has a simple schematic:

Remco

Reply to
Remco

That Hazard switch is often the source of problems. After exactly 35 years, the switch falls apart inside. (Not kidding)

Here's what the switch does: Pushed in, it selects power from a fuse which is wired to the Ignition switch. Pulled out, it selects power from a fuse that's Hot all the time. In either case, the power goes to the Flasher.

Pushed in, the Turn Signal switch selects which Frt/Rear lamps get connected to the Flasher.

Pulled out, ALL 4 lamps get connected to the Flasher.

To save on Flashers, jumper "X" to "L" on the Flasher for testing purposes. (If it's a VW Flasher, jumper "49a" to "+")

You could also pull these 3 wires off the Hazard sw: Blk/Grn Blk/Wh Blk/Grn/Wh That should allow the Turn Signals to work but not the

4-way Hazards.
Reply to
Speedy Jim

I have two more years left...I can't forget this issue... Joao

Joao Eliseu

as they get older I find grounds get be a problem. clean all grounding points. and Good luck!

g adds. MONEY , what a concept

Reply to
LL bean