99 Tacoma / High end power loss

Guys...I missed y'all...seriously...I haven't written in a while, but here goes:

99 Tacoma 2.7 litre 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual, 4WD, XCab...

She's my baby...Mobil 1 synthetic every 3k RELIGIOUSLY!!!

I do all my maintenance except the major services.

Here's my issue:

My beloved old girl is loosing power under load. Now I know the venerable 4 cylinder ain't no hoss, but she struggles up the hills around here these days. Hills I use to take easily in 3rd gear now require downshifting to 2nd and 5th gear is awful.

She's still strong as an ox at low RPM with great torque.

I'm going to check my PCV today. But I'm thinking it may be my catalytic converter. So here are my questions:

  1. Does everyone concur or do you have any other suggestions?

  1. I know the 02 sensor is behind the coverter. I've heard coring the coverter out does not work on the newer tacomas. Anyone have any experience with this. (I cored both out on my 91 landcruiser and got very good results)(p.s. No emmisions checks here)

  2. Is there an after market, free-flowing converter available that will work with the 02 sensor and computer yet give better flow?

  1. If i'm not mistaken, cannot the converter be changed with a ratchet? It is not welded in is it?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Also, please post your replies as well as e-mailing me at:

snipped-for-privacy@us.army.mil

Walt Mattil Birmingham, Alabama

99 Tacoma TRD, 4WD XCab 02 Tacoma Double Cab, TRD (the Wife's)
Reply to
WaltMattil

Climb under the truck and look. On my 4Runner, the cat is bolted in. If you look into the inlet end, its pretty obvious if its clogged, mine was caked with a white residue that filled the honeycomb surface, leaving only a small open area in the center. Should be lots of aftermarket cats available, CarSound is supposed to be a good, free-flowing design.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Walt, I'd agree with the converter, but you will need to replace it, the check engine light will glow if you hog it out. Yes, you can unbolt the converter, this is easy when its cool, pop it off and just look inside.

Walt, I see your ".mil" email address. I for one would like to thank you for your service to our country. ;-D

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Thanks for the sage advice....i'll will look into it......as to the .mil, no thanks are necessary....but I appreciate it...

Walt

Reply to
WaltMattil