cam sensor on a 96 v6

I have a 96 tacoma with the 3.4l V6. The check engine light just came on yesterday with a new one for me. Is the cam sensor difficult to replace, or should I have a shop do it? Any special tools needed? What is a typical price for the parts needed? Thanks, Robert

Reply to
Robert

I don't know the answer to your question, directly. But, the Cam Sensor is sometimes part of what looks like a distributor. I don't know how they designed your '96, but I suspect you have a distributor. The Cam Sensor can be part of what formerly played the role of points -- not exactly "points", but in the same place.

If I'm correct, the fix is to replace the distributor. This is a relatively easy project. MAKE SURE the engine is at TDC, then pull the distributor and drop in a new one. I hate to state the obvious, but be sure the engine is at TDC, and the new distributor is pointed at the #1 position BEFORE you attempt to start the motor. Many new distributors will come with a lock pin in them that holds the rotor on #1, DO NOT remove the pin until after the distributor is correctly installed.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thank you for the help, but the 96 has the distributerless ignition. There are three coil packs. I have also added an MSD add-on ignition, larger injectors, and the TRD SC (1st gen)

I'm h>I don't know the answer to your question, directly. But, the Cam Sensor is

Reply to
Robert